We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kamala or kata?

Which Kamala hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
kamala or kata?

hiyah

I am looking for a laidback resort, both day and night. I dont really like anything too in your face or tacky. I'd like a good selection of bars and resteraunts. Not dead at night, just a nice vibe. I recently went to Bophut resort in Koh Samui and loved the little thai resteraunts on the beach and the chill out bars on the beach. I guess Im looking for something like this again. Would any of these resorts, kamala or kata, have this sort of vibe at night. Or am I barking up the wrong tree with Phuket? I appreciate your comments.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kamala or kata?

I just came back from Kata and loved. Stayed at Kata Lucky Villa ,,and rented a bike to see Kata and Akron beach. Patong is 20 min ride on Bike..SO you can enjoy whatever you like if you stay in Kata.

hope it helps

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kamala or kata?

Yes, Kata would be a good option.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kamala or kata?

Ok, thanks...can you give me some more info please. What's the night life like ? Is it young ? Stuffy ? Or just nice and chilled and cosmopolitan without being too formal

Thanx

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kamala or kata?

hi - we did kamala and kata in April, I enjoyed kamala for that relaxed atmosphere, nice beach and not too many deck chairs, depending which resort, ours backed directly onto the beach.

more european crowd - heaps of scandanavians

the main street only 200 metres long

Kata - had to walk to beach , plus a throng of hawkers

more dining options in Kata

depending on your timeline - do both !

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kamala or kata?

Ok, thanks...can you give me some more info please. What's the night life like ? Is it young ? Stuffy ? Or just nice and chilled and cosmopolitan without being too formal

Thanx

Australia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kamala or kata?

massive fan of kamala, very laid back great beach, check out kamala beach resort (a sunprime resort) right on the beach.no hasseles in kamala

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kamala or kata?

We are doing both this trip as well as Chiang Mai. We have spent 5 nights in Kata which we loved and are heading off to Kamala tomorrow.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kamala or kata?

I would choose Kata, thinking Kamala maybe too quite for you.

All of Phuket has a great mix of tourists from the young to the old, so you will be comfortable what ever group you fit into.

Nothing is really formal there either, all very laid back, no real dressing up etc, go to dinner in what you would wear during the day.

Michelle

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kamala or kata?

If you are thinking Bophut Koh Samui style you are really not going to find it in either. In Kata only a very few places are 'on the beach' such as the Kata Beach Resort, Katathani, the bars and restaurants will not be like Bophut, much more built up.

Phuket is overall more built up than Samui. Koh Samui beachtime at night does have that tropical island 'vibe'. Both are very developed but Phuket more so.

If you want an alternative perhaps Koh Phangan might suit you more

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,908 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kamala or kata?

Nai Yang has some restaurants where you can eat on the beach.

Have you had a look at Koh Chang plenty of restaurants located on the beach. Beachfront bungalows galore.Plus the people are of all ages and nationalities. Very laid back and friendly atmosphere plus not as crowded as Koh Samui or Phuket. CJ