We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Mafia - Cape Sienna quesiton

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Mafia - Cape Sienna quesiton

Hi everyone,

off to Cape Sienna Resort in 2 weeks and have been scanning the forums. Have noticed there seems to be an issue with taxis at the resort?

from my understanding, if we were to organise our own driver (which we were thinking of doing) we would have to meet them outside of the property?

do these 'taxi mafia' people charge more than normal for a trip into Kamala or out to Patong etc?

What about being dropped off inside the property?

I just want to make sure we know what to do when we get there and don't aggravate anyone.

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
895 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Mafia - Cape Sienna quesiton

Most likely it won't be you who they harrass or attack, but whoever it is you make your deal with to pick you up somewhere else.

Good luck with this.

It is a HUGE problem in Phuket.

You'll have to ask them what they charge.

There have been prices posted before but, they don't mean anything if these guys want to charge something else.

Your best bet is to ask the hotel people.

They should know the prices and the options.

It may be a good idea to take a metered taxi from the airport when you arrive and then get that drivers phone no. in case it's do-able to call in someone.

good luck.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Mafia - Cape Sienna quesiton

I don't know about Cape Sienna but I have experienced the situation in Laguna.

Laguna has taxi mafia. As such, almost all drivers I talked to do not dare to do pick up at my hotel. The exception seem to be dive centers and some other tour agencies. My dive center has no problem picking me and dropping me off.

However the airport taxi refused the pickup.

I ended up paying 800B for a airport transfer from Laguna to Phuket Airport using the taxi mafia, arranged by the hotel. The car was a nice and comfortable camry (so in a way they didn't rip you off further by giving you a old junk to send you to the airport).

The "meter taxi" to Laguna from the airport was probably less than 400B I think.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
792 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Mafia - Cape Sienna quesiton

Cape Sienna may have some transport issues, I have just returned from Kamala recently and can report my experience. Drop off to the hotel is obviously O.K. Pick up may be a different situation. There was a recent confrontation with a transport operator being attacked and vehicle damaged trying to pick up from Cape Sienna. Having said that, I found the guys outside the Hotel quite friendly! I decided to fit in to their "system" I don't necessarily agree with it, but who am I to change the world? If you have a preferred driver you could arrange to meet off premises. Not ideal I know, but unfortunately that's how it works.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 07 June 2012, 10:36
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Mafia - Cape Sienna quesiton

Unclehollywood,

What prices did you pay for standard routes from cape sienna to say, patong, Phuket town or the ferry terminal?

I'm off to cape sienna and then phi phi in about three weeks.

Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
792 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Mafia - Cape Sienna quesiton

I paid Thb 350 - 400 each way from Kamala Central to Bangla on several occasions. I met some friendly characters and was happy to pay that. We were in a group of 4 which sometimes can make it easier to justify. I find obsessing over a few Thb can be very tiring. I try to pay a happy price and enjoy my holiday.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 08 June 2012, 00:24
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Mafia - Cape Sienna quesiton

@unclehollywood i'm with you. if that's there way of running things, i'll do it rather than make a scene.

thanks for your input all :)

Aonang, Krabi
Destination Expert
for Krabi Town
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Mafia - Cape Sienna quesiton

Forget the prices - no matter what they charge, their cars are on BLACK PLATES...so they are neither licensed or insured to carry tourists.

In the event of an accident, you can guarantee the driver will be on his toes and you will have no cover for medical expenses...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Mafia - Cape Sienna quesiton

so... should i not use them?

9. Re: Taxi Mafia - Cape Sienna quesiton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 13:05
Edited: 31 October 2012, 13:05
Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Mafia - Cape Sienna quesiton

I've stayed at Cape Siena and it isn't walking distance to anywhere really although it is so lovely you may be happy not to go far and Rockpool down the end of the road I recommend especially for breakfast.

Unfortunately throughout Phuket these marfia taxi stands are set up outside the big remote hotels and as they know no other taxi's will come in. they usually prefer not work than take a fair price although you can try bargaining and try walking away. We hired a vehicle when we were there so it was ok for us. I wouldnt worry about using them if you are happy to pay their prices. Msg me if you have any questions

If you want a driver for a day or good part thereof, airport transfers I can recommend Kit - I actually asked him last week if he ever had trouble coming into hotels with taxi marfia and he said no . SMS or call +66 8 0536 4918