We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Potrero to Tamarindo

Dallas, Texas
6 posts
Save Topic
Playa Potrero to Tamarindo

We are renting a house for the week in Playa Potrero and we are renting a car. I have found some tours that I really want to do but they are located out of Tamarindo. How far of a drive is Tamarindo from Playa Potrero? Is there anywhere closer that would have tours for us to do?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Potrero to Tamarindo

What tours are you interested in doing? Many tour agencies have various pickup points that might include Potrero. Also - if you have your own car, there are quite a few things you can do without an organized tour.

It's about 45 minutes from Potrero to Tamarindo.

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Potrero to Tamarindo

A good option is a company that just got listed on TA not too long ago but is a sister company to a long time real estate business here ... I would highly recommend them. The reviews here are all excellent.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g309253-d6…

They will pick you up and drop you off at your rental.

Dallas, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Potrero to Tamarindo

Thanks! We are interested in doing a combo tour that includes rafting, rappelling, and ziplines. Also, I would like to do a sunset cruise. I would like to a wildlife tour as well or anything that is recommended. We are leaving in about two weeks for our vacation and haven't really planned anything yet.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Potrero to Tamarindo

You can do a combo tour that will include rappelling and ziplines, but the whitewater rafting tours take pretty much all day. You might check here: www.xplorecostarica.com A well-respected company in Tamarindo and they have lots of tours available.

For sunset cruise, I would contact www.seabirdsailingexcursions.com

Dallas, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Potrero to Tamarindo

Thank you for your recommendations and help on this. I've been kinda lost on planning this trip. Is there anything else in the area that is must see/ do/ or eat?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Potrero to Tamarindo

Well, yeah, lots.

Number one would be -- go to Playa Conchal. It's one of the most beautiful beaches in Costa Rica. You can ride a bike or take a taxi to Brasilito and then walk the rest of the way.

It would kind of depend on whether you have a car or not. But some places to check out would include Guatil (a small town where artisans make authentic Chorotega pottery), take the boat to Witch's Rock off the coast of Playa Naranjo in Santa Rosa National Park for some great surfing or just spending time at a beautiful, deserted beach; go to the Llanos del Cortes waterfall; head to Miravalles Volcano for Las Hornillas www.lashornillas.com ; visit one of the three National Parks of the area -- Rincon de la Vieja, Santa Rosa or Palo Verde; visit the Junquillal Wildlife Refuge (north of Liberia); whitewater rafting with Rios Tropicales on the Rio Cucaracho www.riostropicales.com ; go to Rinconcito Lodge and take a horseback ride to Santa Maria sector of Rincon de la Vieja National Park -- HUGE hot springs, mud pots, small cold rivers, huge waterfall and not many tourists.

Just some of the MANY things to do in the area.

Kingman, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Potrero to Tamarindo

Here's a full listing of attractions and reviews here on trip advisor so much to see and do, that your personal preferences should be the deciding factor as what to do ...

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g309235-Activiti…

It's a beautiful country with beautiful people ... I suggest to do all you can while you're here and if you're like many of us, once you're here, you'll want to return!

Pura Vida!

Dallas, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Playa Potrero to Tamarindo

Thank you both for the wonderful suggestions. That should make my trip planning much easier.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Playa Potrero to Tamarindo

Try contacting Claudia at www.infoflamingo.com

Really no need to go into Tamarindo for tours

Newcastle Ontario...
Level Contributor
200 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Playa Potrero to Tamarindo

What is the best currency to use in Costa Rica? I am Canadian, is it better to use US Dollars or Costa Rican Colon, are prices in stores, marked in both currency? I have traveled in Mexico extensively and my experience there is that most stores, taxi's, businesses would rather have their Mexican Peso as they have to change the US dollar back to peso and lose money on the exchange!!! As a consumer/tourist in Mexico at least it is usually more advantages for me to pay in peso than in USA currency, some help is appreciated, thanks

Get answers to your questions about Playa Potrero