We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now I need to be talked into Cueva Ventana

Reading...
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Now I need to be talked into Cueva Ventana

So we have a whole nice little day planned in the Arecibo area (the coast looks so cool) and a walk through Cueva Ventana has been an absolute must. Now, I guess I'm doing too much reading because, in one writeup, a person described "massive cave-dwelling insects."

OMG, are you kidding?!?!?!

I think bats are nifty, and am not frightened by snakes. But dear Lord, do not let any "massive" insect near me in the dark!! Now I'm picturing our nice side trip becomming some Indiana Jones/Mummy/horror movie where I run screaming to the car. And my sons...yea, they'll be even worse.

Seriously, someone has to get straight with me about this. How prevalent are these things? WHAT are these things? How closed-in is this cave and will we be able to maintain a safe distance from these things?

It kills me to be such a sissy-girl, lol, just being real!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Now I need to be talked into Cueva Ventana

We've been to Cueva Ventana many times, and all we've ever noticed were bats (throughout), birds (near the "window"), cricket-type insects, and some spiders. Not too much to be worried about. Take a good flashlight, it's dark in the middle of the cave.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Now I need to be talked into Cueva Ventana

We just spent a week in Arecibo we didn't go to any caves just stayed on the beach and drank rum, the locals are nice and friendly and the beaches are wonderful get out on 168 and eat and drink!!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Now I need to be talked into Cueva Ventana

Seriously, don't miss these caves. Crickets and roaches are probably the only bugs you will see. Yes, they are larger than common Pennsylvania ones, but not massive.

And the cave is large- you will not have to get close to the walls if you don't want.

Reading...
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Now I need to be talked into Cueva Ventana

Thanks, I know I'd be mad at myself if I missed this. We have a day planned with (hopefully) the ultralight flight for the sons, Cueva Ventana, Cueva del Indio and just exploring the coastline. Probably the day I was most looking forward to.

5. Re: Now I need to be talked into Cueva Ventana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 20:15
Get answers to your questions about Arecibo