We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cueva Ventana and kids?

OHIO
Level Contributor
227 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Cueva Ventana and kids?

Traveling w/ a 2.5 yr old and 5yr old, thinking about visiting the cave, but not sure if the kids could manage the "rope"? both are athletic and we are an adventurous family... thoughts from people who've been there?

Thanks,

Beagle

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cueva Ventana and kids?

It has been a while since I have been there myself, but we just got a comment from a reader that states that the new $3 fee has helped make improvements at the cave- they are making real steps into it etc.

However, I think I would be a bit scared to take little kids there.....there is no edge- it just opens up. And inside the cave is dark and slippery and there are some holes. Unless you make sure you are holding their hands the whole time, it would be tricky. But can they do it- with a little help/carry/push here and there, yes I think they can.

Bring flashlights.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cueva Ventana and kids?

My understanding that it is quite a hike to get to the cave and can be tiresome for those not accustomed to the terrain and heat.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cueva Ventana and kids?

It is only like a 10-15 min walk, just a small bit up a hill.

Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cueva Ventana and kids?

I went there with the boys scouts and some scouts brought in their little brother/sisters. Everyone enjoyed their time. I agree with Flowerfarm, that I believe your young children can do it, just make sure you are holding their hands the whole time.

OHIO
Level Contributor
227 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cueva Ventana and kids?

Thanks all! I think we will give it a try, we can always turn around if it is too much... it looks like an easy hike to the cave one way or the other!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
49 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cueva Ventana and kids?

easy hike, though very slippery so be careful with little ones. just have flashlights ready. Read yesterday on the newspaper that it was closed because they were building stairs to make it easier for people to access the cave, sad to say they were doing severe damage to the cave. The authorities stopped it thank God. This is a beautiful place and now people are trying to make a profit. it was free before but now people are taking advantage of its popularity to cash in. So make sure before making the trip that is open to visitors.

OHIO
Level Contributor
227 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cueva Ventana and kids?

Will definitely try to check it out to see if it is open before we head over, is there a website or contact number to call? Thanks for the heads up.... so sad people were damaging the cave, it is crazy how selfish people can be. :(

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
49 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cueva Ventana and kids?

Unfortunately there is not a number you can call. But if you decide to take the road trip and find it to be closed there is The Arecibo Observatory and Parque Cavernas de Camuy.

There is a Texaco Gas station beside the road that takes you to Cueva Ventana, people park their cars nearby. Maybe by calling them you will be notified of the status on construction, etc. tried to find the phone number for the station but no luck.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
49 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cueva Ventana and kids?

found this page on Facebook, maybe they can give you more details

https:/…

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cueva Ventana and kids?

Crazy stuff going on, lots of politics involved. Just sad that it is closed. However I think it will be closed for a long while.

Get answers to your questions about Arecibo