We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Valley Holiday

Blairsville, Georgia
Level Contributor
92 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Valley Holiday

Hello - I would like suggestions please for a scenic valley small town to base ourselves in during the early weeks of September 2013. Would like to stay in an apartment in the village and live as local as we can. Two mature adults with a rental car staying for 2 - 3 weeks. We mostly want to just relax and enjoy village life. We do not want/nor need to be near major tourist attractions but would like to have a promenade along a river or lake, beautiful mountain views, a few restaurants in the village and a bakery.

I am also going to post this on the Austria forum because we would like to be in the Tyrol area of Germany or the Salzburg area of Austria.

And for those who recogonize my posting name as previously asking questions, yes, we will be in Mayrhofen, Austria in October of 2012 to enjoy the Mayrhofen Almabtrieb.

And as far as what I consider a small village, possibly under 2,000 people.

Thank you all for suggestions.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Valley Holiday

"...we would like to be in the Tyrol area of Germany..."

I haven't heard any part of Germany referred to as "Tyrol", which is one of the states in Austria.

You might like Bad Wiessee. http://en.bad-wiessee.de/

Diessen is a nice town on Ammersee across the lake from Herrsching and Andechs Monastery, a good base for heading into the Bavarian alps or into the Tirol. Lots of apartments (Ferienwohnungen) in town and nearby:

diessen.de/information-for-our-guest.html

http://diessen.de/private-zimmer.html

Meersburg is popular too:

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g198537-Meersburg_Bo…

These places exceed your population restriction but often include neighboring villages in their numbers. They aren't big.

Blairsville, Georgia
Level Contributor
92 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Valley Holiday

OOPS !! Sorry, should have said the Bavarian location of Germany.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,842 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Valley Holiday

At the Bavarian Alps you are always close to Austria (Tyrol, Salzburger Land).

http://www.bavarian-alps.travel/en/index

Ramsau in the Berchtesgadener Land (close to Salzburg) is an idea

http://www.ramsau.de/index.php?lang=en

Or in the Allgäu near Oberstdorf

http://www.oberstdorf.de/

A bit curious there: the valley Kleinwalsertal which belongs to Tyrol/Austria but can be only access (by car or bus) from Oberstdorf.

http://www.kleinwalsertal.com/

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Valley Holiday

For your "wish list", I would head towards the area near the Konigssee and the bottom of the Jenner lift. We love the Hotel Bergheimat but there are quite a few choices in this area with a car. From this quiet location, it's a two minute walk to the Jenner lift and there is a great bakery right across from the Jennerbahn lift. It's about a 10 minute walk to Lake Konigssee, and about 15 minutes to B'gaden and about 35 minutes to Salzburg proper.

You can do day trips to Hallstadt, Salzburg, Hohenwerfen fortress, a day train trip to Munich, the lakes region, and many other locations. You can also sit on your balcony and watch the hanggliders come down off the Jenner and do nothing!

Some of the best hiking anywhere is nearby!

Another nearby great choice is the hotel Nutzkaser in Ramsau but you would not be "on the lake". This area has great views of the Watzmann and nearby mountains as well. This hotel has a very, very good restaurant. On a cool day, their home made soup is the best around!!! Not to mention the fabulous haxen which is on the menu every nite!

Blairsville, Georgia
Level Contributor
92 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Valley Holiday

Thank you all so very much ..........a lot to research ........and all locations sound wonderful.

I have just seen another supposedly scenic area called the Saalachtal Valley in the Salzburg state of Austria. Small towns of Lofer, St. Martin bei Lofer and a few more. Any pros/cons/information on this area is appreciated.

And, abalada, the Kleinwalsertal Valley looks fabulous and not as touristy as some of the others. Will look very close at this area.

Thanks again everyone.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic Valley Holiday

Oops, better don't let the folks in Kleinwalsertal know you put them into Tyrol ... they are proud to be part of Vorarlberg :-) - anyway, it's a good recommendation, relatively quiet and definitely scenic. Although a bit too isolated for my taste and not enough to do for 2-3 weeks.

Lofer and St. Martin are quiet, small, quite scenic also. Good idea. I am afraid you just have to make a decision .. there are too many places that fit the criteria.

Blairsville, Georgia
Level Contributor
92 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic Valley Holiday

Well heck ............OOPS AGAIN !!! I think I need to refresh my geography brain. And actually the reason for staying in one location for 2 - 3 weeks is so we don't have to feel like we will need to be going/doing/seeing all the time. Beautiful natural scenic surroundings, friendly folks, and local good food wiil satisfy us for this trip.

And yes, too many and all wonderful suggestions. Up to me now !!! Thanks again everyone.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic Valley Holiday

Hi,

I'd also recommend Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden. Ramsau is a small village, a stream runs along the main road with a few footbridges crossing it, beautiful mountain views and it has a wonderful bakery, Niedermyers. We love our stays at the Pension Mayringerlehen. We stayed here 10/06, 10/07 and 9/09 for a total of 10 nights, and plan to visit again. The owners (Sabine and Johann Grassl) are simply wonderful, the views of the mountains are terrific, they serve a very nice breakfast buffet plus they have an organic farm. They have goats, cows, chickens, guinea pigs, rabbits, a horse and a llama. Two beautiful lakes are close to Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden... the Hintersee (5 minutes away) and Konigsee (15 minutes away).

www.mayringerlehen.de

www.dorfbaeckerei.de

www.ramsau.de

We have photo's at:

worldisround.com/articles/355548/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/338872/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/324607/index.html

Hope this helps.

Paul

9. Re: Scenic Valley Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2013, 10:24