We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

garmisch to berchtesgaden route question...

Level Contributor
556 posts
1 review
Save Topic
garmisch to berchtesgaden route question...

someone posted this route in fodors.: "Garmisch- to Zirl.

At Zirl, get on the A-12 autobahn past Innsbruck and north- east to the Oberaudorf exit. From there, head on a lovely road east past the Wilde Kaiser Mountain massif to Koessen, Reit im Winkel. Reit is perhaps the prettiest mountain village in Germany.

In Reit, pick up the B-305 Deutsche Alpenstrasse (German Alpine Road) to Berchtesgaden". we are trying to find out how long (in time) this trip will take (assuming no scenery stops)

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,301 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: garmisch to berchtesgaden route question...

I certainly wouldn't go that way- you presumably have a reason for trekking down into Austria?

The AlpenStrasse is my chosen route for that journey.

You can do THAT- no vignette needed as the bit in Austria that goes to Reit is on minor roads- in 5 hours, taking it slowly

Level Contributor
556 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: garmisch to berchtesgaden route question...

thank you, ethelman2! actually, we are starting in mittenwald and would like to make the mittenwald to berchtesgaden an all day trip through the most scenic areas. so, as not to take too much time just driving, (and to leave time for some sightseeing), i thought we would need a combination of highway and alpenstrasse. we will have been in mittenwald for 3 nights, and plan 3 nights in berchtesgaden, so we can explore both of those areas. knowing all this, can you recommend a route for us. thank you! jack

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: garmisch to berchtesgaden route question...

Since I am the guy who recommended that route on the "other website", I also answered already your question there. As to ethelman2's comment: The first part of the Alpenstrasse requires you to drive north from Mittenwald to Wallgau, where you pick up a toll road to Vorderiss - Sylvenstein Stausee (Reservoir). This toll road is quite narrow and cost me a side view mirror, when a BMW and I passed each other. "Happenss all the time", according to German cop.

Then the Alpenstrasse goes along the Tegernsee, Schliersee Sudelfeld, the Tatzelwurm Pass and ends at Niederau/Oberau, the same place I suggested you get off the Innsbruck Autobahn to head for the Alpenstrasse starting again in Reit im Winkl.

The stretch Tegernsee - Oberau is quite scenic, but I don't think it will save you any time over the Zirl - Oberau stretch. It does, however, save you the EUR 8 for the Austrian Autobahn Vignette

Edited: 12 August 2012, 22:51
Level Contributor
556 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: garmisch to berchtesgaden route question...

haaaaaaaaaa!!! yes, it was you, treplow! i am at a loss right now because i do not have a good road-map. but , i will go back to your post at fodors. approx how long a trip without scenery stops? jack

5. Re: garmisch to berchtesgaden route question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 16:17