We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Garmisch and Mittenwald

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
959 reviews
Save Topic
Garmisch and Mittenwald

We will be in the Bavarian Alps region in early July. We would like to see Mittenwald, Garmisch and Partenkirchen, and Neuschwanstein Castle. We will have a car. We will not have any time to go up the Zugspitze or hike(although we can do short walks), but would like any advice as to what is interesting to see in that area. We love beautiful scenery. Also we need to get to Neuschwanstein and then to Innsbruck so if you can advise as to the best route, it would be appreciated. I also understand that there is a scenic route to get between these places. Danke and thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Bavarian Alps
Bavarian Alps
Bavaria, Germany
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Neuschwanstein Castle
Neuschwanstein Castle
14,870 Reviews
Hohenschwangau, Germany
Zugspitze
Zugspitze
3,222 Reviews
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Garmisch and Mittenwald

Hi,

Is this all in 1 day? To see these places, where are you starting from? Are you winding up in Innsbruck and staying there?

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Garmisch and Mittenwald

It's really easy to get around by car. There's a main highway that goes from Garmisch, to Mittenwald, to Seefeld (one of my favorite spots!), and on to Innsbruck. Figure about an hour to Innsbruck from Garmisch. The scenery throughout that area is spectacular. You could take a side trip to Oberamergau or to Linderhoff Castle. You go through Ettal to get there. Everything, especially in the summer is easily driveable.

Mentioned in this post
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Ettal
Ettal
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Garmisch and Mittenwald

We are leaving Salzburg around 6am and eventually ending up in Innsbruck. I am unsure as to whether it makes sense to go to Neuschwanstein first from Salzburg or to Mittenwald, but eventually we are ending in Innsbruck. It is over the course of 2 days.

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Garmisch and Mittenwald

I know there is a gorge in Garmisch. About how long does it take to see that gorge and how long a walk is in? My husband is in poor shape and doesn't like much walking. I know there is a ride to the top of the castle. Thank you.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Garmisch and Mittenwald

If we did this in one day, we would leave Salzburg at 5:30am taking E60, arriving at Neuschwanstein around 8:30am. If we arrived around 8:30am, what time should I get the tour tickets for? Then we would drive to Garmisch and spend about 2 to 3 hours there, then to Mittenwald, spending about 2 hours there and then on to Innsbruck. Is this doable? We tend to like a fast pace. My husband just doesn't like long hikes. He can walk a reasonable distance for about 20 minutes but no hour hikes for him. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Garmisch and Mittenwald

All in 1 day.. I guess you could, but why if you can use 2 days? Instead of doing a "marathon day" one day of driving, and if Neuschwanstein is a "must", why not head directly to Fuessen and spend the night. Either see Neuschwanstein that afternoon or first thing the next am.

Also, you could base in Garmisch or Mittenwald and then visit Neuschwanstein that afternoon or the next am. Stay the night in either Garmisch or Mittenwald. (We prefer Mittenwald).

Unfortunately, you'll be passing Innsbruck, Mittenwald and Garmisch on your planned trip from Salzburg to Neuschwanstein.

FYI:

You assume it will take 3 hours from Salzburg to Neuschwanstein. If on a weekday, look out for rush hour traffic.

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Garmisch and Mittenwald

Hi again,

I checked driving from Salzburg to Neuschwanstein to Garmisch/Mittenwald and ending in Innsbruck on www.viamichelin.com and it looks like just under 6 hours driving time, no stopping, traffic, etc., meaning pretty much ideal conditions for the entire drive. Add some traffic (inevitable), touring Neuschwanstein (2+ hours), stopping in Garmisch for 2 or 3 hours and Mittenwald for 2 hours and you have a 13 to 14 hour day. Leave Salzburg at 5:30am and arrive Innsbruck at 6:30 or 7:30pm. Me, no thanks.

Salzburg to Fuessen, maybe a 3 to 4 hour drive. Tour Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles that day or if the weathers nice, go up the Tegelbergbahn cable car about a mile from Neuschwanstein. The Wieskirche is nearby and spectacular inside.

www.wieskirche.de

On the above link, go to Panoramic View and use you mouse on the photo's to view the interior.

www.schwangau.de/tegelberg-cablecar-626.html

You may also be interested in the luge ride (Sommerrodelbahn) at Tegelberg.

www.schwangau.de/the-summer-luge-636.html

You could make reservations for Neuschwanstein for the next day (day driving to Innsbruck) for the earliest tour, as Fuessen is just 10 min. from the castle. Afterwards, drive the hour or so to Garmisch, visit, and then the 20 minutes to Mittenwald. From Mittenwald, Innsbruck is less than an hour away.

Just some ideas and opinions.

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Hohenschwangau
Hohenschwangau
Swabia, Germany
Tegelbergbahn
Tegelbergbahn
241 Reviews
Schwangau, Germany
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Garmisch and Mittenwald

Hi once again,

I didn't mean to make my opinion of your 1 day idea sound so negative. Just not something I'd care to try to accomplish in 1 day. It would be better with an overnight in my opinion. We've stayed in Fuessen twice ('01, '03), Mittenwald twice ('05, '06) and the Salzburg area (basing in the Berchtesgaden area) 5 times ('01, '06, '07, '09, '10).

If interested, we have photo's (3 pages) at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Mittenwald
Mittenwald
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Garmisch and Mittenwald

No problem. I appreciate all your suggestions. It is tough when you only get so little vacation time and then find out there is so much to see and not enough time to do it in. We are used to long days so it is not that big a deal to us because we want to see as much as we can, but I appreciate all the insight and advice. It is a reality check sometimes and your advice is invaluable to me.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Garmisch and Mittenwald

Paul,

I did look at your photos as well. FYI, we are also going to Zell am Zee and driving Grossglockner Road before we head to Bavaria and Innsbruck. I had thought about the Crystal World, but it seems like the guidebooks give it glowing reviews, but on TA, it gets a thumbs down.

I am usually up at 5:30am and on the go constantly until 9:30pm at night, so a hectic schedule is normal to me. We only had 8 hours in Paris last summer and did a Seine boat ride, part of the Louvre, walked the Tuileries, ate at the Louvre, saw the outside of the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triumphe, and toured the Notre Dame and Sainte Chappelle so we are highly motivated. Then I sleep for a week when I get home.

Mentioned in this post
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
Bavaria Boutique Hotel
898 Reviews
Munich, Germany
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
The Crystal
The Crystal
387 Reviews
Obergurgl, Austria