We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Alpine Road - End Oct - road condition?

Singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Alpine Road - End Oct - road condition?

We are keen on driving the Alpine Road in the last week of October.

We are not experienced with winter driving. Will that be an issue on the Alpine Road during this season (eg snow, winter tires etc)?

If yes, would anyone be able to recommend a driving itinerary where we can catch some remnants of fall leaves

Singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Alpine Road - End Oct - road condition?

A bit more clarity on my trip

I have 10-11 days. Likely to fly into Munich, rent a car, start from Munich Bad Tolz to Lindau and then continue to Black Forest, ending in Frankfurt. (Doing it the other way round also works).

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,940 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Alpine Road - End Oct - road condition?

You will see fasll leaves around lake constance, not sure about alpine road it is probably mostly pines and spruce. You will probably be fine to drive it, I woldn't expect major snowfall then. However it snowed in May this year so who knows!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Alpine Road - End Oct - road condition?

thank you! will i need winter tires? I envisage renting from Hertz, Avis and the likes.

Are winter tires those with snow chains?

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Alpine Road - End Oct - road condition?

No, winter tires look like any other tire, it has a little snow flake on the rim, the rubber is softer so you have better grip, snow chains have to be ordered seperatly, but I doubt you need them in October.

5. Re: Driving Alpine Road - End Oct - road condition?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2014, 05:18