We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need 1 more stop in SE Bavaria

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
I need 1 more stop in SE Bavaria

I’m in preliminary stages of planning our next trip to Bavaria and I’m looking for 1 more stop I think

A little background. It will just be my wife and I and we are very fit. We will travel everywhere by public transportation. And when it comes to trains, we prefer to use the RE over the faster trains, because we use the fantastic Bayern Ticket and also because we aren’t going to travel very far. We will start in Munich, and be coming in September with the overall intention to end up back in Munich for Oktoberfest. We have been to this area a couple times and are familiar with how to use the trains, trams, buses, ticket machines etc. Places we have already been to include Füssen, Schwangau, München, Erding, Mittenwald, G-P, Berchtesgaden, Hallstatt, Vienna, Salzburg, and Innsbruck.

We want to spend about 15 days total and really want to concentrate in Bavaria. What we are looking at now is flying into Munich and get right on the train to:

Reit im Winkl – for 2 days.

Bad Reichtenhall – for 2 days.

Berchtesgaden – for 3 days.

Munich – for 5 days.

So what I’m looking for is 1 more town to spend 2-3 days in along this journey. If it’s just a 2 day town, we will add another day to Berchtesgaden. I would like to stay in Bavaria but it’s not absolutely necessary. I’m trying to stay under the 2-3 hour journey for train/bus rides. Of course we would like to be in the Alps. There doesn’t have to be a lot to do in this town, we aren’t museum people, maybe an attraction or 2, or a great brewery would be even better. Something like Berchtesgaden would be perfect.

Do you have any suggestions for me to check into??

19 replies to this topic
Chieming, Germany
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need 1 more stop in SE Bavaria

Hello,

these are good locations, but you should remember that Reit im Winkl does not have a train station (there are buses for example from Ruhpolding, not far away).

Perhaps you should consider Prien am Chiemsee with the castle Herrenchiemsee on one of the island and the Fraueninsel / Frauenchiemsee, the other island in the Chiemsee lake.

From Bad Reichenhall its about half an hour to Salzburg, which is of cause really worth a visit.

Good luck

Peter

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I need 1 more stop in SE Bavaria

We are not big fans of Bad Reichenhall. It's bigger and more commercial.

How about a couple of nites in Schonau am Konigssee...walk to the lake or the cable car.

Or, a couple of nites in Ramsau ....love the Nutzkaser or the Best Western Rehlegg. Great views and hiking.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need 1 more stop in SE Bavaria

Guten Tag Peter.

Thank you, I will look into Prien am Chiemsee. It would add no time at all to our journey as it is already on the train line from Munich to RiW (with some added bus service to get to RiW). Does it have an Altstadt or a pedestrian zone and how can I find it? The Altstadt is usually where we like to stay. Then I can start looking at hotels.

We will definitely go to Salzburg for a half day at least. It’s a beautiful city, and we love the view from the biergarten of the Stieglkeller!!!

PROST!

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I need 1 more stop in SE Bavaria

Hello Emily,

Schönau am Königsee might be too close to Berchtesgaden. It is just 3km from the hotel we stay at…haha. But if you think it’s a nice little town, I will put it on the list to check out when we are there.

We went to the Königsee that last time, but it was raining and we didn’t get to take a boat ride or see much, so we will definitely head back there again.

And the day we were going to take the bus to Ramsau it was raining too, so that is on the list as well. I was really wanting to get some pictures of the St. Sebastian church.

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I need 1 more stop in SE Bavaria

Hi,

if you like a town close to the mountains then you could check out Murnau about 70 km from Munich:

murnau.de/en/9c0a12c6-f940-4721-5d99-ec0d522…

and there even exists a hotel with brewery:

www.griesbraeu.de/de/brauerei.html

another place I like a lot is Lindau at the lake Constance:

http://en.lindau-tourismus.de

meinestadt.de/lindau-bodensee/bilder/detail…

Chieming, Germany
Level Contributor
25 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I need 1 more stop in SE Bavaria

Hello, cardinal5,

Prien itself is not so interesting, as I think, not the pretty old town.

But starting from the train station there is a lovely private historic train (check time table) to the harbour (about 2km) where the ships start to Herrenchiemsee (castle) and Frauenchiemsee.

There are also some hotels direct at the lake, for example the Yachthotel Chiemsee (about 300 m from the harbor) or others directly at the harbor.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need 1 more stop in SE Bavaria

Wow Susi the Griesbräu looks awesome. And the gasthof prices are very good, but I think it is a little too far from the other places we are going.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I need 1 more stop in SE Bavaria

Susi, when I pulled up our website for Lindau, the first thing I saw was the picture at the harbour that has the Lion on one side and the clocktower on the other. Our friends that went with us trip to Bavaria went that and said it was great. I've seen all their pictures! But I think it too is too far.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
519 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I need 1 more stop in SE Bavaria

Do some research about Burghausen. It is a lovely Bavarian town featuring a quaint old town and the longest castle in Europe. It is located at the river Salzach which is also the border to Austria. The little town in Austria opposite Burghausen is called "Ach". There you should consider staying in the Hotel "Burgblick". From there you have a phantasic, quite certainly the best, view on the skyline of Burghausen with the river, the old town and the castle! Been there and liked it very much!!!

München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I need 1 more stop in SE Bavaria

Look at the Tegernsee area. It is closer to your route and with the lake and the mountains very pittoresque.

http://en.tegernsee.com

there you shouldn`t miss the Bräustüberl in Tegernsee:

www.braustuberl.de

or Bad Tölz (perhaps a little bit out of your way by train, but worth to check)

www.bad-toelz.de/en/bad-toelz.html

Reply to: I need 1 more stop in SE Bavaria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted