We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berchtesgadener Land v Salzkammergut

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Berchtesgadener Land v Salzkammergut

We are looking for a place to stay for 4-6 nights in August in the mountains/lakes near Salzburg. Will want to visit Salzburg one day. Prefer accomodation either with its own restaurant or with one very close by (don't want a totally self-catered holiday). Ideally not right in town - would like a kid-friendly environment. Nice swimming pool a plus. Beautiful views a must.

Am I better off looking in Berchesgadenerland or the Salzkammergut? Any specific hotels/accomodations to recommend?

5 replies to this topic
Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
100 reviews
1. Re: Berchtesgadener Land v Salzkammergut

The number of choices with pools is a bit slim, however, one of our favories is the Best Western Hotel Rehlegg in Ramsau. This family - run hotel has several buildings and an outdoor pool. The views to the nearby Alps are gorgeous.

Food is terrific and they have one of my all time favorites - a little honey bar at breakfast. Easy drive to Salzburg....maybe 45 minutes and to B'gaden....maybe 30 minutes. Easy drive to the Konigssee ....about 20 minutes

Best if you have a car for this location as it is up a hill a bit!

Until I stayed here, I did not realize that the quality of Best Western hotels is much higher in Europe.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,299 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Berchtesgadener Land v Salzkammergut

Hi,

We also like staying in Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden. We stayed 3 times (10/06, 10/07. 9/09) at the Pension Mayringerlehen. No restaurant or swimming pool, but they do have buffet breakfast, nice views of the alps, nice rooms, an "honor bar" (which includes: soft drinks, beer, wine, snacks and pizza's), plenty of animals (goats, cows, chickens, guinea pigs, rabbits, a horse and a llama) and simply terrific hosts/owners. There's free parking or it's a few minutes walk from the bus stop. There are a few restaurants nearby, the Gebirgshaeusl is our favorite for dinner in the area. I heard it's also a good place to stay.

www.gebirgshaeusl.de

www.mayringerlehen.de

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g635853-d630183…

worldisround.com/articles/355548/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/338872/index.html

worldisround.com/articles/324607/index.html

Based in Ramsau bei Berchtesgaden and with a car:

Berchtesgaden is only 15 minutes from here.

Konigsee is 20 min.

Jennerbahn cable car is 20 min.

Salzburg about 30 to 40 min.

"Mad" King Ludwig's Herrenchiemsee is an hour.

St. Gilgen is about an hour

Hallstatt is roughly 1:30

Zell am See is 1:30

There's also the Eagle's Nest/Kehlsteinhaus, a Salt Mine in Berchtesgaden and another in nearby Hallein, Austria and a Sommerrodelbahn (luge ride) near Hallein, Austria.

Friends recommended this place to stay, as the Mayringerlehen was full during their visit:

www.grubenlehen.de/index.html

We also stayed in Schonau am Konigsee in 11/10 (Mayringerlehen was closed thie week we were there in Nov, '10 ) at the Guesthaus Friedwiese. Loved it here also.

www.friedwiese.de/enska/isl.htm

If you can stand another 2 links:

www.ramsau.de

www.berchtesgadener-land.info

Hope this helps.

Paul

Edited: 17 January 2013, 22:40
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Berchtesgadener Land v Salzkammergut

Wow! Thanks for the all the links/recommendations. I'm so excited about this trip. One picture more stunning than the next.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Berchtesgadener Land v Salzkammergut

Update - we stayed in the Alm- und Wellnesshotel Alpenhof in Berchtesgadener Land. Great hotel, and great location. We loved the area! Just beautiful and so much to see and do.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Berchtesgadener Land v Salzkammergut

Great you provided feedback.

What did you do and did you have a car?

Reply to: Berchtesgadener Land v Salzkammergut
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Upper Bavaria