We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Herrenchiemsee or Hallstatt?

Auburn, AL
Level Contributor
261 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Herrenchiemsee or Hallstatt?

We have three nights booked near Berchtesgaden this summer. That leaves us part an afternoon and two full days to explore the area. One day and probably what's left of the first afternoon will be spent around Berchtesgaden and Koenigsee. For the second day, I am trying to decide between Herrenchiemsee and Hallstatt. Our earlier travels take us to Salzburg and Vienna, and after this we will go to Munich. I may be able to see both on this trip, but if I don't want to be too rushed just to check things off a list. If you had to make the choice, which would you see and which would you drop?

9 replies to this topic
Palling, Germany
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Herrenchiemsee or Hallstatt?

Hi,

You have to see Herrenchiemsee. The castle, the fountain is very very nice. It's on a island and the boat ride it pretty good and once there just walk around it's very beautiful. After that you can go to the Frauneninsel another island it very nice too. And if you have still time after that just walk around the chiemsee. In Summer time it's fabulous!! The're not a lot of people normally visiting this castle so that's better then going to neuschwanstein( too much people in summer time)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,295 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Herrenchiemsee or Hallstatt?

Hi,

Since you'll be seeing Konigsee, I'd make Chiemsee and "Mad" King Ludwig's Neues Schloss (Herrenchiemsee) a priority. The palace and grounds are all that. The interior of Herrenchiemsee is far better than the interior of Neuschwanstein in my opinion.

Paul

Palling, Germany
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Herrenchiemsee or Hallstatt?

You're absolutely right Paul!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,662 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Herrenchiemsee or Hallstatt?

do be aware that you can only see the inside of Herrenchiemsee on a guided tour - much anticipated by my family - but - half an hour tour - rushed through the rooms by a seriously dis-interested guide and no photos allowed left us feeling just a bit ripped off.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
4,295 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Herrenchiemsee or Hallstatt?

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your experience at Herrenchiemsee. We had a very good tour guide, not rushed and believe it or not, the two of us were part of a group of five people, includeing both of us, on our tour.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Herrenchiemsee or Hallstatt?

Lotte86: In your picture, are those Klepper Faltboote? Is the pix taken near Chieming? That's where we launched our Klepper for th first time. Many wonderful memories.

Auburn, AL
Level Contributor
261 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Herrenchiemsee or Hallstatt?

Thanks for your advice. Some good points here. Herrenchiemsee it is.

Palling, Germany
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Herrenchiemsee or Hallstatt?

Hi Treplow,

No i'm not leaving near the Chiemsee( Chieming) anymore :-( I'm in Vancouver so that was actually there. And It's a kayak!

I did the tour of Herrenchiemsee too and it's was very nice and relax...

And Thmoore at Neuschwanstein it's the same no picture and only guide tour... As well as Schonbrunn and many others places....

seattle, wa
Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Herrenchiemsee or Hallstatt?

they are both very different venues, but I would say Herrenchiemsee. While there, also take the boat to the fraueninsel, which is the smaller island nearby. It's lovely and has a couple of great places to eat.

Reply to: Herrenchiemsee or Hallstatt?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Upper Bavaria