We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time overseas- Thailand

Which Chalong hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roxby Downs
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
First Time overseas- Thailand

Ok so this post has been posted a few times before but I am wanting to go to Thailand for a holiday in December. Leave Aust on the 6th and return on the 10th. Just a quick trip in between work blocks. Looking for somewhere with a beautiful beach, clear water, Not overly fussed on price needs to be close to the action but just far enough away to feel relaxed while at the Hotel. Your ideas would be greatly appreciated. Is the weather ok at this time? I have checked the best times to travel but want to know from people that have been there during December. Thanks :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time overseas- Thailand

3 days?????. i wouldn't bother.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time overseas- Thailand

It's the dry season in December so the weather should be good.

Phuket Town...
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time overseas- Thailand

In December I would go for Phuket. Stay at a nice beach like Kata, and then head for the nightlife in Patong.

Roxby Downs
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time overseas- Thailand

Its actually 4 nights a friend of ours went recently for this amount of time to see what it was like. They are going back now and taking the family. I think its a great idea. I work a 5 on 4 off 4 on 5 off so I will not need to take any holidays which works for me. Your comment seems pointless to me so why did you bother.

I have heard Kata is a nice beach thanks for the feedback :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time overseas- Thailand

I can actually see two4travels point....4 days is quite short and it would be a case of unpacking and then repacking within a few days....However,4 days is ok if you just want to get a feel for a place.....Remembering that December is high season....Prices are at their highest as compared to low season when prices can be half or even less for accomodation....And prices can be haggled lower for other things as well....I always travel low season(wet season/June - September)and to be honest,it has never been that wet,plenty of sun and lots cheaper....

Kata is nice and so is Kalim which is basically at the north end of Patong over the hill....Kalim is quiet,yet not so far away from Patong's shopping and nightlife....You can walk to Patong centre in a half hour or tuk tuk...

I always pick my hotels from sawadee.com...Check the prices within my budget,check the location and then check the TA reviews of my choice.....

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time overseas- Thailand

If you are not overly fussed on price and want to be near the action and beach try the Impiana in Patong

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time overseas- Thailand

Ok

So you want to be close to the action, a nice beach but far enough away from it to be able to chillax :)

Thats easy, this is exactly what we searched for on our first trip to Phuket & found Kamala, 15 mins from Patong by Tuk Tuk, a fantastic beach, friendly locals, some great local bars & as for resorts we stay at either Aquamarine Resort or Print Kamala Resort both are great & both are pretty good as far as price is concerned, Aquamarine has a free bus to Patong 3 times a day that drops off & picks up.

Have fun :)

Vinny

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time overseas- Thailand

I was actually just stating my point of view. I would think if i was from Australia and only had four days off . i would probably consider something closer to home. I M O. Don't mean to upset you.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time overseas- Thailand

That would depend on where in Aust you lived, i live in Darwin & its only a 5 hour flight to Phuket :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time overseas- Thailand

I agree that coming all the way from South Australia for just 2 days is pretty pointless. Save Thailand for when you're not in so much of a rush.

Cheers