We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A quick update on access to Mrauk U

noosa
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A quick update on access to Mrauk U

Just returned to Sittwe today after 5 nights in Mrauk U.

No permit required.

No guide required.

5000 kyat site fee payable at Mrauk U jetty

3 different boats: board 30 min before departure

A - Express boat - 150 expess bus style seats - single deck - 3 hrs - 20,000 Kyat

B - Company Boat - Ok wooden seats upstairs - 2 decks - 5 hrs - 10,000 Kyat

C - Govt Boat - ? - 2 decks - 5/6 hrs - 10,000 Kyat

Current schedule:

Sittwe to Mrauk U

Mon - B - 7am dep

Tue - C - 7am dep

Wed - A - 8am dep

Thu - B - 7am dep

Fri - C - 7am dep

Sat - B - 7am dep

Sun - no boat

Mrauk U to Sittwe

Mon - no boat

Tue - B - 7am dep

Wed - C - 7am dep

Thu - A - 7am dep

Fri - B - 7am dep

Sat - C - 7am dep

Sun - B - 7am dep

Also private boats $140+ return depending on how long you stay in Mrauk U - 6/7 hrs e/w

Pantin, France
Destination Expert
for Myanmar
Level Contributor
807 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A quick update on access to Mrauk U

Thank you for your sharing. Independent travellers are often not asked to have permit but if you take a tour with a travel agency, it is necessary for that agent to get the permit.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,419 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A quick update on access to Mrauk U

Many thanks.

Very useful information,as will be your trip report,itineraries,costs and reviews which I am sure are all to follow.

best

SS

Trento, Italy
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A quick update on access to Mrauk U

Thank you for your info! one more question; did you have to book the flight to Sittwe a lot in advance?!

Canberra, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A quick update on access to Mrauk U

This is very useful and encouraging for those of us who are contemplating to visit Mrauk U in December 2013. Can you tell us about the safety of the boats?

Are there enough life jackets for all passengers on board in case of emergency? We are elderly and can't swim!

I am assuming the boat trip is direct to Mrauk U with no stop over.

It is necessary and essential for me to visit Kyauk Taw and Mahamuni pagoda. I understand there is no hotel accommodation in Kyauk Taw. Any suggestion and advice will be appreciated.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A quick update on access to Mrauk U

#4 I would seriously consider going overland if the safety of the boats concerns you. There is no way they are up to western safety standards, and I doubt any of them have floatation devices. I have heard reports of the occasional boat sinking in rough weather, but this is not an everyday occurrence (thank goodness).

Canberra, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A quick update on access to Mrauk U

Thank you so much to Maneki-neko for this info regarding the boats safety. I agree that it wont be western safety standard. If I decide to go by boat I would seriously consider carrying a floataion device for myself on board. By the way anyone visited Kyauktaw and Mahamuni pagoda in Rakine state? Any feedback will be appreciated.

noosa
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A quick update on access to Mrauk U

#3 There were spare seats on the flights to & from Sittwe. If you are flexible I am sure you could get a flight around the days you wish to travel.

#4 I did not check for flotation devices when I was on board. On checking my photos - the express boat had life jackets stowed above every seat, looked like enough for everyone! The company boat had life rafts on the roof and some life rings on the side - probably not enough for everyone.

Mahamuni pagoda is 21 miles north of Mrauk U on the main Sittwe-Yangon Road, Kyauktaw is another 7 miles. The drive to Mahamuni takes 1.5 hours due to the condition of the road, allow another half hour to Kyauktaw.

We did enquire about a private car from Mrauk U to Sittwe & were quoted $140.(only $35 return to Mahamuni with a side stop at Vesali!) There is also an express bus 4 hours, not sure whether they will sell you a ticket though.

My suggestion - go for a week & get the express boat there & back.

Mrauk U is lovely, we stayed 5 nights, 7 would be even better.

Canberra, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A quick update on access to Mrauk U

Many thanks for the response and very useful information. It is immensely appreciated. Hope to report back if we manage to visit the Rakhine state in December 2013.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A quick update on access to Mrauk U

thanks a ton for the boat sched. swampemu. very helpful

London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A quick update on access to Mrauk U

Thanks Swampemu for this update, very useful! We're leaving to Myanmar in couple of days and our itinerary is not fully set yet. We're deciding between Bagan and Mrauk U. Would you recommend one more than the other, if you happened to visit both?

Get answers to your questions about Mrauk U