We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Terrigal
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney, Australia to Ozamiz

Hope someone can help me. What is the best way to travel from Sydney, Australia to Ozamiz? I know there is an Airphil flight out of Manila to Ozamiz in the mornings but I am trying to avoid staying in Manila overnight on my own. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney, Australia to Ozamiz

hi ,that depends on what flights u get from sydney to manila- maybe victioranlad will advise ,perhaps better if u can get flight to cebu? airphil route to ozamis is via cebu ,whereas cebu pacific have direct flight from manila to ozamis , so depends what time ur flight will arrive manila whether u need to stay in manila for a night or not .

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney, Australia to Ozamiz

This is how I personally would do it but I like to spend time in Cebu City.

Catch the flight on Philippine Airlines flight from Sydney to Manila then catch the domestic flight from Manila to Cebu City.

Philippine Airlines travels in a loop Manila, Melbourne, Sydney then back to Manila for some trips and in reverse for others. Try and get the loop where you fly Sydney straight to Manila.

From Cebu City, travel on a Trans Asia ship in a presidential suite to Ozamiz City. I like travelling on Trans Asia. My last trip Cebu City to Ozamiz City was September last year. At that time it was P300 for a 1 hour in room massage during the journey. The presidential suite has a balcony on the side of the boat, aircon, room service, private bathroom, DVD player with free videos and a fully stocked fridge but you have to pay for the drinks.

If this trip is of interest to you, let me know and I will fill in the details.

Otherwise, you will find that there are friendly enough places in Manila for you to stay whil you wait for AirPhilsExpress.

Regards; Jim Sibbick

Terrigal
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney, Australia to Ozamiz

Thanks for both for your replies. I was probably flying Qantas from Sydney on Christmas Day, Boxing day or 27th Dec to meet up with my girlfriend and her family who will be holidaying in Ozamiz, so don't want to spend any time anywhere as will be keen to get to them and we will travel after that.

The Qantas flight arrives in Manila at 1710 but I am open to all suggestions. Just want to take the least amount of stopovers as that will mean less time.

Thanks again and I look forward to more of your advise. The cruise sounds wonderful but dont know if that's the most effecient way. Again, what do you think?

Terrigal
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney, Australia to Ozamiz

Jim, did you have any ideas of departure and arrival times for any of your suggestions?

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,102 posts
2,068 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney, Australia to Ozamiz

Look up the timetable at www.philippineairlines.com

Philippine Airlines is preferable to QANTAS' surly staff and fairly poor punctuality. PR uses one of its two, not much more than a year old Boeing 777-300s on the Australia route for most trips. QANTAS can use up to 22 year old Boeing 767-300s that are outdated and which lack individual seatback AVOD (audio and video on demand.)

It flies five times a week at least (occasional extras during holiday seasons) to Manila ex Sydney, with four of the northbound flights being direct: the exception is the Saturday flight fromm Sydney to Manila, which is via Melbourne (complete route for that service is Fri night ex Manila, arr Sydney Sat. morning, depart Melbourne Sat afternoon and arrive Manila late Saturday afternoon.

www.webjet.com (the US-based site of Webjet's, not the Australian-based site, often seems to have the cheapest fares: compare with www.philippineairlines.com and www.jetabroad.com.au as well as www.zuji.com.au and www.webjet.com.au

Book Sydney - Manila - Sydney separately to Manila - domestic leg - Manila: do the latter (internal) leg at www.cebupacificair.com or www.airphilexpress.com

You should stay overnight in Manila unless you gamble on the last flight of the night to Cebu ex Manila. www.asiatravel.com has a reasonable selection of hotels in Manila.

Edited: 12 November 2010, 08:05
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,102 posts
2,068 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney, Australia to Ozamiz

I seond Big Jim.

Trans Asia is an excellent, reliable and comfortable shipping line.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney, Australia to Ozamiz

Here is the Transasia information. It has schedules and costs for the ship from Cebu City to Ozamiz City and vice versa

transasiashipping.com/destinations/ozamis/oz…

Cebu Ferries also travels between Cebu City and Ozamiz City. The schedules are here

www.cebuferries.com/destinations.asp…

The last time I travelled by Cebu Ferries to Ozamiz City, they were using Our Lady of Fatima. I don't know what happened to it but I would like to travel on it again. The 1st class cabin I travelled in was very big with a king size bed. They have Our Lady of Mount Carmel on that route now. Our Lady of Mount Carmel was the very first ship I ever travelled on in the Philippines and I hope they have improved it since I last travelled on it 15 years ago.

I didn't film Ozamiz City when I was there last year but I do have a 2005 video which you may be interested in. It show the trip from Cebu City to Ozamiz City, a small amount of Ozamiz City then the trip back to Cebu City including a trip on a Transasia ship in the presidential suite.

Look for it on this page of my website. It is called Around Iligan Bay

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/videos3.htm

Here is the flight details for a soon to be flight with PAL from Sydney to Cebu, with the date removed for privacy reasons. You can book all the way from Sydney to Cebu with PAL. You just have to pass an internal customs inspection in Manila before they take your luggage and put it on the domestic flight to Cebu. On Some of my flights, the baggage handlers have been waiting with my luggage for me to show up, then they take my bag away as soon as the customs inspector tags my bag as inspected.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Aircraft BOEING 777 JET

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

to

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

PHILIPPINE AIRLINES

PR 0212 Departing At

10:30am

Terminal - Not Available ( Kingsford Smith)

Arriving At

11:55am

Terminal - Not Available (Tullamarine)

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

to

MANILA, PHILIPPINES

PHILIPPINE AIRLINES

PR 0212 Departing At

01:15pm

Terminal - Not available (Tullamarine)

Arriving At

05:55pm

Terminal- CENTENNIAL 2

Aircraft AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A320 JET

MANILA, PHILIPPINES

to

CEBU MACTAN INTL, PHILIPPINES

PHILIPPINE AIRLINES

PR 0863 Departing At

06:30pm

Terminal - CENTENNIAL 2

Arriving At

07:55pm

Terminal - Not Available (Mactan)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to spend the night in Manila before heading off in the morning, this is where I stay because I am happy there and Asia Bill treats me well. Although I should point out that some others don't have nice things to say about it.

http://asiabill.pages.qpg.com/id2.html

It is close to the airport, being about 10 minutes drive from any terminal in normal traffic. They will pick you up and drop you off for a small fee. It certainly is the right price for a budget traveller like me. P950 for aircon, cable TV, private bathroom and double bed. They have a small bar/restaurant on site. However, if you do choose to stay there, my suggestion is you get yourself off to the massive Mall of Asia. It is about the 3rd biggest mall in the world. It is walking distance for me but you will probably want to go by taxi. It is about P50 in a metred taxi. You can go there and watch a movie cheap in their Imax theatre then dine in the mall by the sea. Overlooking Manila bay and the city.

Regards: Jim Sibbick

8. Re: Sydney, Australia to Ozamiz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Ozamiz City
Recent Conversations
More Ozamiz City Topics