We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fighting off the mozzies!

Which Lakka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Fighting off the mozzies!

Looking forward to returning to Paxos in July.

My worry, though, is that the last time we were there, Sept - Oct 2012, we were bitten half to death. So much so that it is a lasting memory! I still have the scars.

Was it just the time of year? It had rained a lot before we arrived. Should we have taken anti-histamine tablets before we went? Mozzy bands? Which spray?

Or will it be ok in July?

warwickshire
Level Contributor
393 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fighting off the mozzies!

Hi foureyedcat, I would think the fact that it had rained probably did make it worse but saying that I also think that if they like you, they like you!! No matter when I go to Paxos I always get bitten, my other half tends to be more lucky!

Taking anti-histamine tablets will not stop the little blighters from biting, they just help with symptoms of being bitten as does anti-histamine cream. Both of which I always take with me. What works for me and there are many people who will dislike this advice and that is using 95% deet. I start by using 50% such as Jungle Formula and then if I have a problem and still get bitten I move up to Mr Bens 95% deet.

Hope this helps. Nice to see that you are going back, I will also be going in July, and can't wait!!

cheshire
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fighting off the mozzies!

Sound counsel, thank you Shakespearstarr.

I will try to source the Mr Ben's as you suggest.

I see that Argos sell a mosquito net for £12.99 ...... we are staying at the lovely Bastas again; I wonder if they would notice a wee hole in the ceiling.....?!

I could take some filler too.............

London
Level Contributor
588 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fighting off the mozzies!

A scientist friend put me onto Vit B. I take it around 4 weeks before I go to Greece (Lesvos) and haven't been bitten for 6 years. Some say it's nonsense but has certainly worked for me! Indeed my brother in Scotland has started using it and he doesn't get bothered by the dreaded midgies either!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fighting off the mozzies!

Hi foureyedcat

I'm a feast for the mossie's they love me so! I go for... Jungle Formula tropical strength, Avon Skin So Soft dry oil spray - original scent greeny turquoise printing - Mosqi-go liquid plug in, tablet plug in for overkill in the room.

Last year I went to Paleokastritsa in Corfu, using all of these I got bitten just once the whole holiday, that said I had read that the Corfiot council/government had been making an effort at spraying to keep the mossie population down.

Where you mention a mossie net it's not a bad idea however what I thought about doing was taking a cheap long piece of net curtain and thin retractable pole to put over the doors, what made me think of it was that the place I stayed in Corfu last year was very similar to Bastas and they had this set up, think it went a real long way to avoiding mossie attacks at night.

On the Corfu forums they also suggest vit B (marmite munchers are sorted) and to buy a can of Raid spray from a supermarket, close up your room each night before going out and spray it top to bottom.

warwickshire
Level Contributor
393 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fighting off the mozzies!

LOL! I'm sure Kostas won't even notice a hole in the ceiling....but the occupants after you probably will! It amazes me the pictures people put on TA!!

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fighting off the mozzies!

I can't agree with the theory that taking anti-histamine tablets before you will not stop the little blighters from biting, I think it does. Maybe it's just that they bite and I don't notice it, but taking tablets for 10 days before I go really improves life. I don't think that they like the taste as much and will go for someone else - funnily enough ex-hubby seemed to get bitten only after I had started taking anti-h in advance of the holiday.

The best cure for mossies is a stiff breeze, so when choosing accommodation the most sheltered in't always the best.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 14:26
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fighting off the mozzies!

Drink plenty of G&T's too, the quinine in tonic water is a deterrent isn't it?

Pity I don't like tonic water.

The reason anti histamines seem to work is because the raised itchy are you get from a bite is your bodies own histamine, the tablets combat that so you just don't realise you've been bitten.

cheshire
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fighting off the mozzies!

Ok: got a fortnight's worth of plug-ins, Jungle Formula wipes and jollop, Vitamin B, Anti-histamine and I promise to lay off bananas nearer the time. Propose a heavy intake of G & Ts , but am not sure what to do with the Marmite.

Last time, I wondered how the locals seem to escape being contsantly wreathed in ruby pustules. "We just get used to it" said the lovely young man serving in his mum's shop. (you know him.. waiter at night)

At what point does one get used to it???

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fighting off the mozzies!

Well done foureyedcat! Marmite is for vitamin B

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fighting off the mozzies!

If I'm sitting on the balcony in the evening (I never EVER now stay below first floor), I burn citronella candles, and the mosquito coils you can buy everywhere in Greece too. They burn for hours, and ward them off a bit (in combination with the rest of my arsenal!). Also, mosquitos are attracted to warm bodies in dark coloured clothing - so keeping cool in more natural clothing keeps you cooler - and wear lighter colours (it's true, honest!). No perfumes/strong-scented deodorants either ;-)

I also take antihistamines on my GPs recommendation for a few days before I go to minimise the reaction once I get bitten. I don't get off the plane or go anywhere from just before dusk without a good slathering of Jungle Formula max strength. I always eat on the seafront as mozzies aren't keen on breeze, and avoid sitting around in lush vegetation where there's no breeze, or by stagnant water/drains.

Mosquitos are also my excuse for a good slug of G'n'T every early evening (I think it's probably myth, but heyho)..

If you follow everything on here, I'll eat my hat if you don't get bitten less! ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Lakka
Recent Conversations
More Lakka Topics