We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos in Mirissa...?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
9 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos in Mirissa...?

Hi all,

Will spend a few weeks Mirissa late February this year.

How about mosquitos there?

Will we need repellant all day, or just after sun down?

Or, perhaps, not at all...?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,638 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos in Mirissa...?

Hi there,

They're everywhere in the low- and midlands! Dengue fever on the rise also in Mirissa and similar coastal towns. So yes, bring spray - Dengue mozzies are most active at daytime.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,374 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos in Mirissa...?

yes, LOTS of mozzies. use them ALL the time, and make sure you sleep under a mosquito net.

wimborne
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos in Mirissa...?

I would like to advise any traveller that it's not the worry of Mosquitos any more than any hot country that usually only come out in the late afternoon/evening when lights are on. If you have an air con room, you seem not get bitten as it's too cold for them but we had a room with a fan. The biggest worry is the small biting ant like creatures I got eaten alive by. They are everywhere. I never put my feet down on the floor when I was sat anywhere. I struggled to find a good chemist after bite accept for using tiger balm or managed eventually to find a small plastic bottle of lawiwa (think that's spelt right) it's a lotion for mosquito repellent with moisturiser in. Works amazingly once you've found it but not big enough so you. It lots although very cheap.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,374 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos in Mirissa...?

we have lots of mosquitoes here, but never had such problems as: "small biting ant like creatures that are everywhere" where on earth have you been staying in Mirissa??? :)

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos in Mirissa...?

I'm super sensitive to sand fly bites, anything work really well to deter these and also soothe if I do get bitten.

Mirissa
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos in Mirissa...?

yes little mossis

all the places provide nets

then no problem

need ctronella oil for repelant

jagath

7. Re: Mosquitos in Mirissa...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2015, 05:16