We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight stop

Which Bourdeaux hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight stop

Hi, We will be driving through France in August from Roscoff to St Remy de Provence and are looking for somewhere to stop for the night round about Bordeaux. We have decided to go down the west side of France as this route is familiar to us. I would like a hotel/B&B in a lovely location that is not too far from the main autoroute. We are looking to spend up to £100 for the night but for the top price it would need to be really lovely. I have looked at St Emilion but have not found a hotel I like for the price. Anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight stop

This should be in the Bordeaux forum, not Bourdeaux. At any rate, why would you pretty much double the distance you're driving and go down the west coast of France, rather than cut through the middle? I'd take the shorter route, save a bundle on fuel and tolls, and use it to pad my hotel budget if necessary. Stay somewhere around Brive-la-Gaillarde.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,726 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight stop

Whilst the West of France is very nice, I'd take the opportunity to explore/stay somewhere new as there are so many great areas of France.

So I'm with StCirc on taking the more direct run from A to B (or R to StR!)

How much time do you want to devote to this journey?

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight stop

Hi Thanks for your reply and I will re-post in Bordeaux. We drove the direct route last year and stopped in Vichy. The roads were very busy as you hit the Paris traffic and it was very expensive on tolls. According to the AA route finder going via Bordeaux only adds 1 hour to the journey. Thanks

rhode island
Level Contributor
56 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight stop

We will be in Bourdeaux in Sept and can't seem to find a map

that would help us walk around the city.Any ideas no luck with tourist office so far.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight stop

I'm sure you will be able to get one at the airport/train station. There are several you can download online. Just google "city map Bordeaux" (make sure you get the spelling right!)

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight stop

I think the downloadable map from the tourist office is rather good:

bordeaux-tourisme.com/images/pdf/plan_touris…

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight stop

<<We will be in Bourdeaux...>>

Well, if it IS really Bourdeaux, it might be a challenge. If it's Bordeaux, there are maps all over the internet and the tourist office will have plenty, as will hotels.

rhode island
Level Contributor
56 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight stop

Thanks to all I'' try the download>

9. Re: Overnight stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:20