We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning on Jacky's GH: terrible place/untrustworthy owner

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Warning on Jacky's GH: terrible place/untrustworthy owner

Just want to share some lessons learned. Sometimes a high TA ranking doesn't always mean the place is the best. This is especially true to Yuanyang, where still limited hotel options listed on TA w English content. Based on the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to book Jacky's Guest House for the trip to Yuanyang, which turned out to be a bad decision. The owner Jacky is actually a quite shrewd businessman, which could be very hard for foreigners to see through and easy to be fooled by some initial, limited impressions. We have been in China long enough and had past experiences to figure out what type of persons we were dealing with. He screwed up our bookings and tried to cover up with some funny excuses. Then we found out it was actually due to a larger tour group that showed up later, which made this person decide for a more money-making arrangement and not to honor earlier bookings. He thought he may get away with this as there are few people in this village that can speak English and he may continue to enjoy sort of monopoly status here. This is not only totally unacceptable but also a very wrong business decision. There are actually quite a few other accomondation options just a few houses away. The Youth Hostel and Sunny Guest House are among many other better / cheaper options and they all have staff that can communicate well with foreigners in English and have a very friendly & proactive attitude to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Suggest to check mulitple options before bookings, and Tripadvisor's website in China www.daodao.com ( http://www.daodao.com/Hotels-g1410718-Yuanyang_County_Yunnan-Hotels.html) has list of Yuanyang lodge options with toll-free number that you can reach the hotels directly by phone.

Also this place is right next to a very dirty pool with a public toilet just a few steps away, which made their breakfast place (or your bedrooms) clearly not ideally situated. Also this place only has some view from rooftop, which won't be a good place to stay when it is foggy and wet (which is very frequent here) or dark. There are quite a number of other places offering much better view to the rice terraces as well.

This person also took kickbacks (or commissions, to put in a more polite term) when arranging local drivers / tour excusions etc, which were not hard for us to find out as we speak / understand Chinese. Don't be fooled by this person, who may appear to be friendly at least in the beginning.

19 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning on Jacky's GH: terrible place/untrustworthy owner

No a nice experience not to get the booked hotel room.

I would put this as a review rather than a forum post.

In a nutshell: he cancelled your confirmed booking. Correct?

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning on Jacky's GH: terrible place/untrustworthy owner

He changed dramatically what were agreed in bookings and pretended he had bad memory or misunderstanding, which were just too obvious to us. As one of replies to a previous post mentioned, there are quite a number of accomodation options in Yuanyang, including Duoyishu area. Don't think Jacky's GH is the only option for you. In most of the time during year, you should easily find suitable options even after arriving here. Or at least check with more options before finalizing your bookings.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning on Jacky's GH: terrible place/untrustworthy owner

Also posted a review on TripAdvisor, so people would have more thorough picture. Thought forum could be more interactive though

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,587 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning on Jacky's GH: terrible place/untrustworthy owner

I have heard of previous negative experiences with this guesthouse and owner, in a similar vein.

Note that when visiting Yuanyang, there is the option of staying in the little town in a hotel or inn rather than out on the terraces themselves. If you aren't into "rustic" and/or don't need the experience of spending the night in a village, then town might be a better bet, but you will need to get up early to be driven out to the terraces for sunrise.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning on Jacky's GH: terrible place/untrustworthy owner

I also heard some negative comments on the owner, in particular, his greed. I agree that there are a lot of guest houses and hotels in Yuan Yang. Unless travelers are going there at the peak season (January and February) and/or have a preference of hotel/guesthouse, it is not necessary to book any accommodation in advance . Speaking of my experience and reading on the interent, I found that quite a few people running the hotels/guesthouses and working in the tourist industry (e.g. drivers) in Yuan Yang were neither honest nor friendly to say the least. Further, Duoyishu is only one of places where you could see the terraces. If travelers stay in Yuan Yang for a couple of days, they could stay at more than one hotel/guesthouse in different locations (e.g. Xinjiezhen, Shengcun & Laofuzui).

Lijiang, China
Level Contributor
89 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning on Jacky's GH: terrible place/untrustworthy owner

I was curious about this guesthouse, why it is so popular ? I do not want to stay this guesthouse in the future, it is a good idea to find a hotel after arrival

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,305 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning on Jacky's GH: terrible place/untrustworthy owner

Is this the Guest house?

www.realadventures.com/slideshow/1260853/2

London, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning on Jacky's GH: terrible place/untrustworthy owner

thanks very much for you guys input here as wanting to go in a weeks time and was thinking of contacting Jackys to stay at lol so wont be doing that! ...next Saturday maybe - is that going to be peak time then and so should i book ahead at tleast the first night? and stay at Sunnys?

though i cant quite decide, if i arrive by plane at Kunming in afternoon, whether to catch a bus to Jianshui and stay there so im not travelling in the dark and have a day at Jianshui or to stay the first night at Kunming and catch early bus to Xinjie and stay in a place in Xinjie the first night. i need to be back at Kunming for afternoon flight the following Saturday. If i stay in Jianshui on the way, as wouldnt mind seeing a few things there, then i wouldnt want to stay there again on the way back...probably should spend an afternoon and morning in Kunming before getting to airport. or get to kunming from Jianshui the morning of flight departure?

thanks a lot.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 16:02
London, United...
Level Contributor
205 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning on Jacky's GH: terrible place/untrustworthy owner

thanks very much for you guys input here as wanting to go in a weeks time and was thinking of contacting Jackys to stay at lol so wont be doing that! ...next Saturday maybe - is that going to be peak time then and so should i book ahead at tleast the first night? and stay at Sunnys?

though i cant quite decide, if i arrive by plane at Kunming in afternoon, whether to catch a bus to Jianshui and stay there so im not travelling in the dark and have a day at Jianshui or to stay the first night at Kunming and catch early bus to Xinjie and stay in a place in Xinjie the first night. i need to be back at Kunming for afternoon flight the following Saturday. If i stay in Jianshui on the way, as wouldnt mind seeing a few things there, then i wouldnt want to stay there again on the way back...probably should spend an afternoon and morning in Kunming before getting to airport. or get to kunming from Jianshui the morning of flight departure?

thanks a lot.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 16:03
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning on Jacky's GH: terrible place/untrustworthy owner

>>"though i cant quite decide, if i arrive by plane at Kunming in afternoon, whether to catch a bus to Jianshui and stay there so im not travelling in the dark and have a day at Jianshui..."

Yes, by all means, do that. For two reasons. First of all the bus is not safe at night on those small roads. Second, Jianshui is a great small town to visit in its own right. Lots to see there; pleasant ambiance.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 10:12
Reply to: Warning on Jacky's GH: terrible place/untrustworthy owner
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted