We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayo Santiago

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
708 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Cayo Santiago

I read that you need to book 6 months in advance if you wanna visit the island, but I was wondering if there are any tours that just circle the island, without getting off, and you can see the monkeys from the boat.

9 replies to this topic
Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayo Santiago

Barefoot Travelers Adventures does a kayak trip from Punta Santiago to Cayo Santiago (Monkey Island). They don't go on the island (it is off-limits to non-researchers), but they have the option of doing some snorkeling on an old sunken barge. Check our blog for details ... www.puertoricodaytrips.com/monkey-island/

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayo Santiago

I don't think it was Cayo Santiago that has the 6 month advance notice needed- maybe that was Mona Island?

Cayo Santiago has either the kayak trip or there is also a boat trip that goes near the island. Weather dependent of course, but usually not a problem to book at trip with just a few days notice.

puerto rico
Level Contributor
236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayo Santiago

Hello! We do kayak to and around the island Cayo Santiago as the Flower Farm and Ray in PR mentioned. It is a fun trip and available 7 days a week. We cannot go on the island. It is absolutely not allowed. We get close and observe from the water. There is also a boat that goes out if you rather not have a kayaking adventure.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
708 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayo Santiago

No, it wasn't Mona, it was Cayo Santiago, I am sure of it. That was years ago though, so something might've changed.

The kayak trip sounds cool, how much is it? I'll see. If we have time, I can go, if not I'll skip it since I will see monkeys on other islands, where I can actually get close to them, but it's just a suggestion.

Now that I think of it, it's not worth it, but I'll still think about. I heard you might get to talk to the researchers too if you're lucky. Anyways, thanks for the info. I'll think about it.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayo Santiago

We are interested in a trip to Punta Santiago and Cayo Santiago. What is the snorkeling like? I have heard mixed reviews about the snorkeling around Cayo Santiago. It looks like there should be some decent areas. Also, I've heard the Punta Santiago area is nice/fun. Any info/advice is appreciated.

thanks

puerto rico
Level Contributor
236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayo Santiago

the snorkel aspect of the tour is not the main focus. That being said it is part of the tour and from day to day conditions and visibility can vary. Read the reviews if you want to many folks comment on the snorkeling.

nj
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cayo Santiago

Tourists have never been allowed on Monkey Island. It is a research center, and these are wild monkeys. You can take a boat ride or kayak around the island, and may be fortunate enough to see some of the monkeys. I was fortunate to actually visit the island when my daughter was doing a 6 month research internship. But she was an experienced guide to take us around the island. Can be very intimidating!

San Clemente...
Level Contributor
13 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cayo Santiago

Does anyone know who to contact to get close to tge island by boat? We would prefer not to kayak. Thanks!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cayo Santiago

http://lapaseodora.yolasite.com/

This is the boat trip to see the monkeys on the island.

Reply to: Cayo Santiago
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Punta Santiago
Recent Conversations