We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West Kirby and Hilbre Island Tide Times

Level Contributor
350 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
West Kirby and Hilbre Island Tide Times

I understand you can walk out to Hilbre Island at low tide. If the tides times are as follows:

03:39 7.28m H 10:15 3.22m L 16:09 7.00m H 22:55 3.55m L

I would imagine at 10:15 it would be fine to walk across but at 16:09 it would be impossible to walk across. However, approximately what be the latest you could walk back without risking being stuck by a high tide?

7 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West Kirby and Hilbre Island Tide Times

That depends on how fast you walk and which route you take.

It is fairly safe and straightforward, and, from memory, there are local notices advising you about the tides in more detail.

Don't forget, once low tide is reached, the tide starts coming in again. So, if you start at 10:15 you will meet the tide on the way in, and might not make the island.

You are better to follow the tide as it goes out, imo.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West Kirby and Hilbre Island Tide Times

Yes, there is an information notice board about the tides and advice on walking over to Hilbre on the promenade. Allow at least an hour to walk the two miles and leave the island at least 3 hours before high water, see website below:

Many people follow the tide out if it is a convenient time, when I was there the other week there must have been 50 people starting to walk. If you are the only ones going, there is something wrong!

Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West Kirby and Hilbre Island Tide Times

I walked over a few weeks ago, but as the weather was hot, we took a picnic and stayed on the island until the tide went back out. About 5 hours in total. It was fantastic. There were seals all round the island, and we were so close to them. Able to get some lovely pictures. I have walked over many many times, but never stayed on it before. Really enjoyed it.

West Kirby...
Level Contributor
71 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West Kirby and Hilbre Island Tide Times

NEVER do that! Never follow the tide out or race the tide back when walking to and from hilbre always allow 3 hours after high tide as the surface of the sand can look clear of water but the tide still rests just below the surface of the sand and can rise up and cut you off dangerously quickly with little warning when walking to near high tide! Always allow 3 hours for this to settle! Then it is very safe i have done it countless times in my life but have to be careful and not cut corners with following the tide rules! Also you must ALWAYS follow the route to little eye to middle eye and on to hilbre!

the reason being is the sand when walking straight out to hilbre is quick sand and it is a slippy cliff edge when approaching the island straight on! Always arrive from the left side, even if it takes slightly longer.

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: West Kirby and Hilbre Island Tide Times

A regular visitor to Hilbre Island and yes the tide timetable is on the prom. The terrain is a little challanging at times so advised on supportive footwear.The main route is the safest and despite how it looks to the eye pretty much the quickest any shortcuts invariably involve a paddle or mud sink. It's harder to get out winter for daylight reasons and not a walk for the dark. I prefer to walk over an hour b4 low tide and return a few hours after low tide peaks. If you lucky enough you may see the grey seals in for a feed.

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: West Kirby and Hilbre Island Tide Times

Will you please let me know the West Kirby tide times on the following dates:-

Aug 2,16 & 30 Sept 13 & 27

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West Kirby and Hilbre Island Tide Times

The chart I use is for 28 days and others are usually less, I am afraid you may have to wait as I can't find any free information for that far in advance.

The only ones I can find are from a fishing website, these are low water times when it is safe to cross, dates as requested.

05.45 18.05

04.35 16.55

04.40 17.00

03.05 15.35

03.30 15.50

Reply to: West Kirby and Hilbre Island Tide Times
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wirral
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now