We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Bagdogra to Darjeeling

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from Bagdogra to Darjeeling

How late in the day can one expect to hire a jeep taxi from the airport to Darjeeling? My flight arrives at 14:35.

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
934 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Bagdogra to Darjeeling

I have taken a taxi from Bagdogra to Darjeeling and it was the most terrifying trip I have ever made. The roads are narrow, crooked and crowded. I would not even consider it unless you will have daylight all the way. We hired a taxi at the airport , paid $50 and I would NEVER do it again under any circumstances..

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Bagdogra to Darjeeling

Hi 59reitred,

The journey might be a bit frightening for a foreign tourist, but thousands of cars ply that route daily and there are very few accidents. If you board the taxi around 3 pm, you will be in Darjeeling by 6pm. There is nothing to worry about. There will be plenty of taxis available at the airport, and you can opt for a prepaid taxi as well.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Bagdogra to Darjeeling

Well how would you suggest to travel from Bagdogra to Darjeeling , the only way to get there is by road i guess ?

Edited: 21 February 2012, 13:09
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Bagdogra to Darjeeling

Yes the only way to get there is by road. If you can walk for about 80 km, you can skip the taxi :)

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Bagdogra to Darjeeling

Like to walk but 80km ... haha ,

Is $50 not to expensive or is this the going rate for a taxi , how much is a jeep to Darjeerling , will a Jeep only leave for Darjeerling when all the seats are taken or do they leave on a time scedule ?

Corpus Christi, TX
Level Contributor
934 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from Bagdogra to Darjeeling

There were 2 of us. Except for the driver, we were the only people in the taxi. It was a nice sturdy Toyota (I think). I think $50 was a fair price considering that the driver had to return to his home in Bagdogra.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from Bagdogra to Darjeeling

You can also take a shared taxi, Rate is around Rs 600 per person. But it can get crowded. To get your own private taxi, you will have to pay around Rs 2000/- ($ 50) What you can do is find 1-2 co-passengers to share it with. There are plenty of taxis available, you just have to bargain hard.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
12 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from Bagdogra to Darjeeling

I ended up taking a prepaid taxi from the airport in October. Someone at the luggage carousel asked about sharing it, so I went for the offer. As she was much younger and aghast at the price, I asked her to pay what she felt she could afford and I paid the rest. The trip was long and grueling but I never felt unsafe. On the return, I took a taxi that had been arranged by my hotel. Yes, it was probably a few dollars more, but it was well worth it. I feel both drivers were safe and dependable. As for prices, I can't remember exactly what I paid, but felt they were fair. Remember where you are, think about what you would pay at home and that the driver eventually has to return to his home. Thanks to all who offered advice. The month I spent in India was an interesting journey.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from Bagdogra to Darjeeling

Can you please help me with a phone no of a taxi service (shared) from Bagdogra airport to Darjeeling ? I am travelling on 23rd Oct '12. Or an website address. Thanks

Bengaluru, India
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi from Bagdogra to Darjeeling

Can we hire a taxi for 4-5 days from Bagdogra to Darjeeling, local sight seeing for 2 days, then to Gangtok one day sight seeing, then to Kalimpong one day sight seeing, then back to Bagdogra 5th day on 24 hour basis

Get answers to your questions about Bagdogra
More Bagdogra Topics