We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kariega Game Reserve Volunteers

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Kariega Game Reserve Volunteers

Hi am thinking of volunteering at this game reserve - has anyone done this here - or anywhere else for that matter? all advice would be greatly appreciated.

8 replies to this topic
Hoedspruit, South...
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kariega Game Reserve Volunteers

Hi there,

Have a look at this review on TripAdvisor if you're interested in wildlife volunteering: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312592-i9827-k624…

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Edinburgh
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kariega Game Reserve Volunteers

Hi there, I am currently a volunteer on this program and is totally AMAZING!!!!!! I'm loving it here so much, I don't want to leave!!! It's my final week and every week we see something different!!! My first day we saw so much. I was blown away. I was barely on the reserve for 2 hours and I had lions within feet of me (in the jeep of course). Our volunteer co-ordinator is lovely, she is always so enthusiastic about every sighting, every job...all the time! Her exact words to us when we are getting hands on tackling the alien vegetation, like the black wottle and the pines are; "BE FREE!!! KILL THESE ALIENS!!!".

We live right smack bang in the middle of Kariega West. Lion Territory, or Ingonyama, as we like to call them, which is xhosa language. We have the lions visiting the volunteer house, elephant and vervet monkeys too! We are fenced in, but watching these majestic creatures, on foot, from our garden is CRAZY, the monkeys even jump on the roof of the house in the mornings!!! It's ssssssoooooo good. The house is lovely, so relaxed and the attitude of my co-volunteers is exactly the same as mine. I walked in and I was welcomed with open arms, the other volunteers are great. I'm the only bloke, the rest are women and we all get on like a house on fire. If we need our privacy, then the others just know that you need your space. There's even a small 10 foot by 4 foot pool in the garden, which I go in EVERY day when we are back at the house for chill time.

The activities are never set in stone. "T.I.A; This Is Africa", which is great. One morning, you'll wake up, expecting to go on a game count and you'll follow the pride all morning, or you'll spot the elephant and sit with them for hours! The work ISN'T work...it's fun!!! ALL OF THIS IS FUN!!! We game count (we get to see the animals, for hours), or we cut down wottle and pine (Hilarious fun, keeping count and celebrating the erradication of a pest...AND WE PLAY WITH MACHETES AND SAWS...And the poison...added bonus), we cut and replant the miracle plant; Spackboom (Again, machetes, but this time pickaxes and BUSHDIVING, in LION TERRITORY), tomorrow we are heading to the local school to teach! (Which sounds great fun from what I've heard, the kids are a hoot!). Honestly, time flys here.

We also have; Pizza nights, on Wednesday, mostly, fun Friday, weekends off, where you can go do activities like; sky diving, deep sea finshing, horse trecking across beaches...the list goes on.

I'm almost forgetting Boama night!!! MAN, Boama night....... It was ssssoooooo tasty. We went to the reserves on sight restaurant over in Kariega East, which doesn't have the predators, we walked down to the restaurant, swanned in and we had this EPIC buffet....

You HAVE to experience this...You can't turn an opportunity like this down. Honestly, this is the best experience in the world!!!!!!! I'm definately coming back.

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kariega Game Reserve Volunteers

OMG it sounds amazing. I am definitely going to book this, I am attending a friends wedding May 25 in Jo'Burg then will fly down to PE after that and stay for a couple of weeks...............I'm already wishing I could stay longer and I haven't even arrived yet. I have been to the Kruger and Pilansberg several times and have always always wanted to be more hands on. I can't wait!!!! thank you so much for the info.

Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kariega Game Reserve Volunteers

Yes, volunteered here in September and I greatly miss it. I did 4 weeks and the ranger is nice too. Do it, you won't regret it as you also do some community work.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kariega Game Reserve Volunteers

Hello and just to offer another idea. I just spent a few days with Wildlife ACT, at Imfolozi Game Reserve in Zululand, with their wild dog monitoring team. I have been holidaying in KZN for 20 years and this was an amazing experience. Take a look at what they do and what they offer.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kariega Game Reserve Volunteers

UK Flaxy, did you end up doing the program? I am looking into the same program and am looking for any feedback.

Thanks!

Emma

Greytown, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kariega Game Reserve Volunteers

Did you go to Kariega? Love to know how you got on.

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kariega Game Reserve Volunteers

Yes I did go for just 2 weeks, no where near long enough though. I had the experience of my life and wish I was there now. Avidly follow the volunteer updates on the Kariega website. Can't recommend this enough go go go!

Reply to: Kariega Game Reserve Volunteers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kenton-on-Sea