We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days to check out 'the mountains'

Darwin NT
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 days to check out 'the mountains'

Hi

Have seen such super helpful responses on here, so am giving it a go!

My husband & I are stopping off in Sydney b4 returning home, only have 2 days! Always wanted to go to Lindsay Gallery, but so many other wonderful things to see in mountains as well we are over whelmed-will just have to try harder to come back!-What else to see?

We are hopefully staying at Rose Lindsay Cottage which is right across the road from gallery. have read some old forums re getting from international airport to mountains. Any thing changed any more suggestions out there? we will be weary travellers!! {in not 100% but active 'middle age' ;) } What would be best transport option does one think- Thanks in advance to all.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days to check out 'the mountains'

The Lindsay Gallery is about 3km from the nearest railway station in Faulconbridge, so I would definitely recommend hiring a car for the two days. That will give you plenty of options to visit. From the Airport probably the easiest way is down the M5 to Casula, then up the M7 motorway (book the tolls beforehand) then M4 west to the Blue Mountains.

If you have two days, the best attractions in the Mountains are further north than the Gallery, so if you're coming straight from the Airport I would go straight up to Katoomba/Leura/Wentworth Falls and spend some time there. I recommend doing a short walk to get the best experience of the Mountains - National Pass at Wentworth Falls is fantastic, there are also some good walks at Katoomba itself. Let us know if you want a recommendation.

I would then perhaps explore the Gallery in the afternoon.

Second day head back north towards Katoomba again, stop off if you want to see anything else, then up to Blackheath, visit Govett's Leap - perhaps do the short clifftop walk, then go up to Mt Victoria, up the Darling Causeway, then head down the Mountains, stopping off at Mt Tomah Botanic Gardens (or taking a detour to Mt Wilson) and having some lunch at one of the cafes at Bilpin. You can then take Windsor Road down to the M2 and take the M2, Lane Cove Tunnel, Harbour Bridge and Eastern Distributor back to the Airport (book your tolls in advance - you need to do one for each road unfortunately).

Some people visit Jenolan Caves while in the Mountains - I would recommend this if you had more time but if you only have 2 days it's probably best to explore the Katoomba/Leura/Wentworth Falls area.

Let us know if you have other questions.

PS. I've been to Rose Lindsay Cottage for a birthday party before and it looked very nice.

Darwin NT
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days to check out 'the mountains'

Thanks RobSyd, very interesting positive information, plenty to do and see,

sounds busy, have driven a few times on Sydney roads but have always been glad to have a hire bus to take me back thro those busy highways to airport..

don't know if i am game enough to drive..Might check out a tour company or bus that runs west and hire a car somewhere from there and head up..

Always great to get local knowledge and input, much appreciated..

3. Re: 2 days to check out 'the mountains'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2012, 06:21