We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self guided tour - Blue Mountains area

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Self guided tour - Blue Mountains area

What is the best way to go without bus tour and car. Take the train to Katumba and find the hop on hop off bus there or do you buy that from central station in advance?

I wanted to also see the Jenolan Caves but I don't think that's possible without bus tour and/or car.

Thanks for any info! We're looking to go right after New Years :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,486 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self guided tour - Blue Mountains area

HI jonny

this link may be of assistance to you as it has a lot of info and links that you can do some further reading - tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k4…

Re Jenolan Caves - It's a good hour from Katoomba and if you are going it alone, you do need a car. I'm not aware of any regular bus services from Katoomba - locals may be able to shed some light on whethere there is a regular bus and what the time table is like.

But if you were to go to Jenolan Caves and you also wanted to see the main points of interest around Katoomba / Echo Point / Leura, then IMO you would need to stay somewhere in the Blue Mts overnight.

Sydney
Level Contributor
234 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self guided tour - Blue Mountains area

You can get a shuttle from Katoomba as per attached link trolleytours.com.au/jenolan-caves-tours#blank

The whole of the mountains are beautiful & I agree you need more than 1 day if you are including the caves. The hop on hop off bus is great & easy to organise from katooma. Alot of the beauty of the mountains is walking the trails to see the various waterfalls as well as quaint townships like Leura. Enjoy, its a beautiful part of the world

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self guided tour - Blue Mountains area

Hi Johnny

You can buy a Blue Mountains ExplorerLink ticket. It combines CityRail travel to Katoomba Station and day access to the hop on, hop off Explorer bus, a red double decker that drives between 30 attractions around the Blue Mountains.

See below link for more detail or to calculate how much it cost from your nearest station. You can choose a day or 3-day ticket. A day ticket from Central station is $46.80 and 3-day ticket is $65.00. Train ticket increases on 1st January, so the ticket might increase a little bit.

131500.com.au/tickets/explore/blue-mountains

I think there is a tour from Katoomba to Jenolan Cave, but not really sure.

Enjoy your holiday :)

4. Re: Self guided tour - Blue Mountains area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2012, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Blue Mountains