We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Mountains vs,. Daintree

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Mountains vs,. Daintree

Coming to Austrailai late tthis week --four full days in sydney and four full days in Port Douglas. Is a trip to the Blue Mountains worth giving up a day in Sydney as I will definitely do Daintree, et.c while in Port Douglas.

Other than the definite things to do both palces, any unique sugggestions would be appreicated.

Thank you.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Mountains vs,. Daintree

Hi,

Yes certainly worth visiting the Blue Mountains when in Sydney. What are your intersts?

One of my favourites Blue Mountains activities is to catch the Scenic Railway down into the valley and walk to the Giant Staircase to climb back to the top. You need to arrange transport for one end or the other as this isn't a loop.

When in FNQ the rail trip to Kuranda with the SkyRail Gondala return is not to be missed IMHO. Make sure you go up on the train and down on the gondola to maximise the view.

http://www.skyrail.com.au/

Cheers,

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Mountains vs,. Daintree

both are very different geologically, vegetatively and wild life wise.

and both are worth seeing.

unfortunately the scenic railway mentioned above is closed for renovation.

but u can still get down to the valley floor via their cableway.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Mountains vs,. Daintree

You are comparing apples and oranges but definately worth seeing both. The Daintree is amazing with it's lush vegetation.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Mountains vs,. Daintree

Thanks --this is the first time I have posted a question and really appreciate your responses.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,171 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Mountains vs,. Daintree

I agree with the others--do both the Blue Mountains and Daintree. Taking a day out of your Sydney portion to go to the Blue Mountains will still give you enough time in Sydney for the "highlights" (and more).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
25,493 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Mountains vs,. Daintree

For Sydney, make sure to plan to get out on the harbour. The ferries run to a number of different locations. I've done Manly a couple of times, which is great, and we went to Watson's Bay on our most recent trip which was completely different and also wonderful. With only four days, I'm not sure you have time to do both.

As you have four full days, I'd agree that getting the train up to Katoomba is a good idea, and I also agree that doing some bushwalking if you can squeeze it in really enhances the experience, although we went DOWN the Giant Staircase and back up the railway....

Lots of wonderful parrots and unique scenery. Enjoy!

Preston UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Mountains vs,. Daintree

Daintree and The Blue Mountains are so different. I have done both recently and loved both. Agree with previous post that the Kurand rail journey is well worth it and the trip back down on the sky rail is not for the faint hearted.

The Blue Mountains are just spectacular. I have stayed in Leura and visited all the lookouts signposted on the brown signs. Absolutely beautiful part of the world. The Grand Canyon with trees. Stunning!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,047 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Mountains vs,. Daintree

I have to agree with Vancouverite. Go to Echo Point. Walk Down the Giants staircase along the valley floor an use the Scenic railwY to get to the to again - or climb the Furber steps which are a lot gentler than the Staircase.

Comparing the Great Barrier Reef to the Blue Mountains is like comparing Hawaii to the Grand Canyon.

9. Re: Blue Mountains vs,. Daintree

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 05:15