We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Mountains day trip via NSW TrainLink???

Regina, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Blue Mountains day trip via NSW TrainLink???

Hi everyone,

Has anyone done the day trip through NSW TrainLink that takes you to the Blue Mountains from Sydney? It looks like there are two options- "Dayscape" and "ExplorerLink". Any recommendations or input? My significant other and I will be in Aus in June, we're on a tight budget and wondering if this would be worth checking out. Once arrived there, what kinds of things are there to do and are they quite pricey? Any feedback greatly appreciated!!!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Blue Mountains day trip via NSW TrainLink???

We will be doing the same in June. Thank you for your excellent clarification. I have been all over the boards trying to do research ahead of time, but was really confused about this, so I appreciate your response. Can I just clarify that Trolley Bus #2 would take the MyMulti3 pass?

*Also, I just want to add that I have been using Google Maps directions to figure out timing of the public buses between places if that helps.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Blue Mountains day trip via NSW TrainLink???

Yes, Trolley Route #2 aka the "Express Trolley" is the one that is included in MyMulti 3, because it is the same thing as public bus #686. It has a large 686 in the destination indicator above the windscreen, just like other public buses that show the route number (it doesn't actually say Trolley route #2).

Yes, Google Maps is useful for identifying the timetables of the public buses, bus stop locations, etc. However I don't think it has real time bus updates in this region. (At least my iphone app, TripView, didn't show real time info when I was in the mountains last weekend, and they both use the same data source at Transport for NSW.)

When I was there both bus 686 and the Blue Mountains Explorer buses were running quite late, so don't take the timetable as gospel... however it was partially because there was a major event in the region (Northface 100 run) that was impacting traffic. Normally there isn't too much traffic in the mountains.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 23:34
13. Re: Blue Mountains day trip via NSW TrainLink???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Blue Mountains