We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a cottage on Mt Desert - flying into Boston

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Renting a cottage on Mt Desert - flying into Boston

We are renting a cottage on Mt Desert Island in June.. We are from Texas and will be landing in Boston and renting a car to drive to Maine. We have two nights that we will need to stay in a hotel/motel before we rent the house for the week and need suggestions on where to stay and where to eat these two days. We are not familiar with the area, so we would like to know places to stay on the way that would be good for first time visitors. Thanks!!

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a cottage on Mt Desert - flying into Boston

If you haven't made plane reservations you may want to consider flying into Portland or Bangor instead of Boston. Boston to Mt Desert Island is a very long drive!

Can't help with lodging, sorry, although there are places in Boothbay that might be easy access on and off Rt 1 (not if you land in Bangor, though)

NH
Level Contributor
278 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a cottage on Mt Desert - flying into Boston

Mt. Desert is quite a drive from Boston...but staying 2 nights along the way makes it much better.

Your first stop could be somewhere in S. Maine...Kennebunkport, etc. You can take Rt. 1 up if you want to take your time and sight see.

2nd stop I would make around Boothbay.

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a cottage on Mt Desert - flying into Boston

Apparently I am in the minority but I don't think that the drive from Boston to Bar Harbor is that long. Sure there are several variables, like time of the year, vacation traffic, which route you take, and how many stops you wish to make but going straight from Boston to Bar Harbor is definitely doable. Google maps has it 279 miles, 5 hrs 10min.

Having said that, since you do have two days before your rental I would look at the Portland and Camden areas. Both are worthy of stops. Actually, if you have good weather I would really consider spending two nights near Camden and try and spend one day visiting Monhegan Island. Take the boat out of Port Clyde and spend the day on the Island. Then come back in the late afternoon and head back into Camden.

But if you wanted to spend those two nights near Bar Harbor, and I wouldn't blame you if you did, just know that the drive is doable.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a cottage on Mt Desert - flying into Boston

acadiafan wrote: "Apparently I am in the minority..."

Yeah, you and a few hundred thousand or so others that make the drive every year, sometimes more than once. ;->

As I suggested to CabbagePatch on the Bar Harbor forum, Portland might be a good alternative for them. The five-hour drive wouldn't be bad except when you tack that on top of a long flight, and especially if you don't get into Logan until late afternoon.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
52 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a cottage on Mt Desert - flying into Boston

We drive to Boston at least a couple of times a year. It is a part of life here. Sometimes we do it in a day and sometimes we overnight at the Days Inn in South Portland.

Portland is definitely worth a day or two. For dining we recomend Flatbreads right next to the water taxis on the waterfront. Best pizza anywhere.

Shortest route to Acadia is to take I-295 to I-95 in Augusta, with perhaps a stop in Freeport along the way. Then you have a choice of taking either route 3 from Augusta to Bar Harbor or staying on I-95 to I-395 and route 1A from the Bangor area to Ellsworth and then route 3 to Bar Harbor. Don't let anyone talk you into taking route 1 from Bath to Ellsworth in June unless you love traffic.

NH
Level Contributor
278 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a cottage on Mt Desert - flying into Boston

Obviously the drive is doable, but you can't say Boston to Bar Harbor in June isn't a long drive.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a cottage on Mt Desert - flying into Boston

If you are looking to do both nights in the same place, I'd recommend Camden if you are getting into Logan at a decent hour. Otherwise, I'd recommend Kennebunkport.

If you are looking to split your two nights, Portland and Camden.

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a cottage on Mt Desert - flying into Boston

We drove to Boston a few years back, spent a day downtown, then headed to Bar Harbor from there up 95. On the way back, we stopped at a Holiday Inn Express in Saco RIGHT off 95. We stayed there a few nights - it was convenient to visit Old Orchard Beach, Kennebunkport, Ogunquit and to go downtown Portland. We did drive Rt 1 from Mt Desert Island to Saco (it was the end of August) making a pitstop in Camden - it was a beautiful drive - to me, it was well worth the extra time. Acadia National Park and the Southern beaches of Maine is our all time family vacation - I can't wait to go back!

Cleveland, OH
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a cottage on Mt Desert - flying into Boston

Forgot the dining part of the question . . . for a casual meal, we enjoyed the place that is right next to the lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth - lobster rolls were great and the view was beautiful.

10. Re: Renting a cottage on Mt Desert - flying into Boston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 14:25