We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Stay When visiting Acadia August 2009

NJ
Level Contributor
37 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Stay When visiting Acadia August 2009

We are a family of 5 with three kids (14, 11 & 7) planning to visit Acadia in August 2009. I have been reading these forums for ideas and the NPS website as well. I am trying to figure out where to stay so we can have easy access to the park, biking, etc. We thought renting a waterfront property would be a great experience but are not sure what towns on MDS would be best. I was thinking that staying off the island would be a hassle with traffic driving back in each morning and thought a house vs. hotel was a better bet with meals and keeping the cost down. Was not sure if Bar Harbor is too overcrowded to enjoy and thought the other towns might be better.

Any suggestions about towns on MDI and how they are situated to the park, and relative ease of getting around. We would like to ocean kayack, explore the tidepools and shorelines in addition to hiking and biking.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Stay When visiting Acadia August 2009

Bar Harbor offers the easiest access to the main part of Acadia National Park on the island. In addition to the close proximity of two of the major entrances, Bar Harbor is also the central staging point for the Island Explorer shuttle system which (free of charge) transports people and bicycles to nearly every point in the park except the Cadillac summit.

Bar Harbor, as you probably already have determined, also has the greatest number and variety of places to rent bikes, book a kayak tour, and eat.

Staying off-island definitely would be a hassle if you intend to spend most of your days in the park.

All of that being said, MDI is not all that large and wherever you stay on the island, the park is easily accessible (and very user-friendly). To be sure, there will be more people in Bar Harbor. There is an old French proverb: "There are no roses without thorns."

NJ
Level Contributor
37 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Stay When visiting Acadia August 2009

Thanks so much for your speedy reply! I appreciate your help. I will be writing back later once I get some places lined up for your opinion. Happy New Year!

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
444 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Stay When visiting Acadia August 2009

I would try Southwest Harbor, there are numerous houses on the "quiet side" and the Island Explorer makes the whole loop around MDI, you just have to know the times and bus numbers. I did this a couple of years back when I didn't feel like driving all over. There is also a bike rental in SWH that a have used and they even hitched them to my car for the weeks rental. They even have their own website apart from Bar Harbor. There are lots of places to see and explore on the quiet side.

4. Re: Where to Stay When visiting Acadia August 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 19:20
Get answers to your questions about Acadia National Park