We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Photography Locations in Acadia

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
876 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Photography Locations in Acadia

Okay folks as we are heading into the off-season, I thought I would toss up a topic that may keep at least some of us thinking about and planning for our next trip to Acadia through the dog days of winter.

I love photographing Acadia. You can see some of my Acadia photos are on my website at itsmynaturephotography.com/galleries/….

What I am interested in is hearing about your favorite places to shoot in Acadia. It may be different in different seasons and at different times of the day. That's okay.

I know what I know but also don't know what I don't know. I am sure there are great spots that I just have not thought of from a photographic perspective.

So come on folks. Let's share.

For me, I love to shoot anywhere along the rocky coastline between Sand Beach and Otter Cliffs but particularly Otter Cliffs. And right up there with Otter Cliffs is shooting the village of Bar Harbor and the mountains of Acadia from Bar Island.

What's your favorite?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Photography Locations in Acadia

The easy answer is that I like to shoot paflyfisher shooting pictures. :->

So much depends on the season. In the spring, when most of the trees are budding out in their various pastels, Jesup Path from the Loop Road to Hemlock Road is a great place; so is the top of Homans Path and almost anywhere on the Loop Road along Great Meadow.

For summer vistas, the summit of Parkman Mountain is hard to beat; there also are great vistas in summer and autumn on Beachcroft Trail, just below the summit of Huguenot Head. Generally, the south face trails of Cadillac, Penobscot, and Sargent also yield great views.

For autumn, I like the Little Long Pond area, the Witch Hole area, and the Aunt Betty Pond area. The Amphitheater trail and carriage road is another good area. In years when the beavers haven't flooded the small causeway, it's nice to walk Breakneck Road from Rt. 233 and then cut over to the Witch Hole carriage road via the small, unmarked (but noted on the MapAdventures map) trail.

In winter, almost any carriage road is good. The Upper Hadlock Pond loop is especially nice for the vistas as well as the ice flows that develop over the rock faces.

Perhaps the real challenge is to find a spot in the park that from a photographer's point of view is completely boring.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
893 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Photography Locations in Acadia

We were up there this time last year. I loved taking pix at:

Lower Hadlock Pond: There is a magical trail that goes around the entire pond. It's very beautiful and diverse, especially if there is no wind and the pond is calm.

Long Pond: From a kayak/canoe around the west side of Northern or Southern Neck. You see few homes and lots of wildlife as well as lovely, "framed" views of the mountains.

Hunter Beach: The one off Rt 3, not loop road. The trail through the woods, especially with dappled sunlight, is, in my opinion, a photographers dream. The colors of the leaves and the moss and the tree bark is amazing. Then, of course, it opens up to the beach. We were there this summer for about an hour. Went from blue skies to fog and back to blue skies again. I think I took 50+ pictures during that hour.

Beech Cliffs: The short trail that starts in the Beech Mtn Parking lot. It takes you to the top of Beech Cliffs and the views are amazing, especially if you walk the short loop at the top. Echo Lake, Southwest Harbor, Somes Sound. Plus it's a very, very easy trail with no climbing.

I'm jealous! We won't be getting back up that far into Maine until next summer. Post some of your pix when you get back.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
876 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Photography Locations in Acadia

Hey, I'm right with you in the jealousy camp. You'll be getting back up to Acadia before I will. Two years ago, we adjusted our schedule from September visits to June visits. Now we are going back to the Fall. Unless something unexpected happens, our next trip won't be until October 1 thru October 14 of next year.

On the photography front, I know of a bunch of folks up in Acadia as I write. There are something like six photography workshops going on in Acadia this week. Popular location! One of the workshops is being led by one of my favorite photographers (Tony Sweet). I'll be at his workshop in Cuyahoga Valley National Park (OH) next week.

Anyway between now and next October, I'll be making a list of place to be sure to shoot and Hunter's Beach is one of them.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Photography Locations in Acadia

Saw a guy with a tripod taking pictures in the wetland between Schooner Head Road and the Park Loop Road, east of the area where the Precipice Trail Head is.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
876 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Photography Locations in Acadia

If it is where I am thinking, it may very well be Tony, the guy I will be in Ohio with next week. He has posted several nice images a day or two ago that looked to be from back there including a couple of the tidal ponds/wetlands between Sand Beach and the Park Loop Road from that trail that passes from the Sand Beach parking lot to Schooner Head Road.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,840 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Photography Locations in Acadia

That might well be the Sand Beach trail/path. It is a favorite of mine because you can look out over the wetland to the dunes of Sand Beach.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Photography Locations in Acadia

Greetings, friends, I saw Bryan Peterson speak this weekend. His photographs are amazing. You may be interested in his Web site. There's a lot of good free content:

http://www.ppsop.com/

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
876 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Photography Locations in Acadia

Bryan is an excellent photographer and an even better writer. I must have three or four of his books. His "Understanding Exposure" is a classic. I just completed a workshop in another National Park (Cuyahoga Valley in Ohio) with another fabulous photographer and teacher - Tony Sweet. If you check out my Cuyahoga National Park Gallery at itsmynaturephotography.com/galleries/… you will see some of the techniques that I hope to put to use in Acadia next year. Gotta build that Acadia gallery beyond where it is now! And to be perfectly honest, and this will get me in hot water with my Ohio friends, CVNP can't hold a candle to Acadia.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite Photography Locations in Acadia

best photo we got was Seal Harbor in the fog.

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite Photography Locations in Acadia

I have no favorites, but prefer looking for something new each time.

For inspiration, look at pros who have spent a long time shooting in Acadia:

Ed Elvidge, http://www.coastalexposures.com/

Acadia Magic, http://www.acadiamagic.com/

Sue Anne Hodges, http://www.sueannehodges.com/

Susan Cole Kelly, http://www.kellypix.com/

Terrell Lester, http://www.thelestergalleryllc.com