We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour de New England...Day 11: Bar Harbor to North Conway

jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Tour de New England...Day 11: Bar Harbor to North Conway

Saturday 9/19/09

Before leaving Bar Harbor there was one more thing to do...walk the mile-long Shore Path (circa 1880). Access was via a side street, Wayman Ln. It was an enjoyable walk, with the sun peaking up over Porcupine Island on Frenchman Bay. Circled back from the town pier onto Main Street and finally got to see Bar Harbor in daylight...but it was now 7am and time to leave beautiful Mt.Desert Island.

Followed Route 1 down the coast after crossing the Penobscot Narrows Bridge. Was too early for the Observatory, as it opened at 9am.

First stop would be Camden...walked around the harbor area. There were several schooners offerring to take passengers for a 2-hour sail ($35). It was a picture-perfect sunsplashed 70-degree day... tempting...but just didn't have the time.

Yankee Magazine had mentioned a 2-mile stretch between Camden and Rockport as "the prettiest walk in the world" (US 1/Pascal Road/Russell Ave.) Did not walk it, but drove it very slowly, getting out of the car to see Aldermere Farm's belted Galloway cows. More schooners were available for hire in Rockport.

Here is my regret: missing the view from Mt. Battie at Camden Hills State Park. Why did I miss it? Didn't know about it until coming home and seeing folks talk it up on this board! Had looked at this Maine forum in doing my research, but somehow missed all mention of Mt. Battie...should have posted the question of 'must-sees' for the Maine Coast. Guess I'll just have to come back to Maine for Mt Battie, the Penobscot Observatory, a whale watch, hiking in Baxter and more popovers at Jordan Pond!

Leaving Rockport at 11am, next destination--Pemaquid Point. Had a cup of chowder on the outside deck of a seafood cafe overlooking New Harbor. The 1827 Pemaquid Point Lighthouse (comissoned by John Quincy Adams) is situated on rugged granite ledges and is a 12-mile drive from Hwy 1.

Back up the peninsula on Hwy 130 and down the adjacent peninsula on Hwy 27 was Boothbay Harbor...the Soul of the Coast. Had heard it was nice, so made a quick tour of the village center and walked the neat footbridge spanning the waterfront. Boothbay Harbor was indeed nice and would be a fine spot to hang out for a day or two...but you know the drill by now...my watch said 3pm and it as time to hit the road...

...27 back to Hwy 1...295 to Portland...25 west...goodbye Maine...Hello White Mountains and New Hampshire.

So Day 11, a travel day from Bar Harbor to North Conway was in the books. Maine's Mid-Coast sampling was a very tasty appetizer...but little did I know that the signature entre would be served the next morning at 6288 feet...

...(to be continued on the New Hampshire forum)

Folowed

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour de New England...Day 11: Bar Harbor to North Conway

Nice report....to you list of reasons to come back to Maine, include that schooner sail. Sailing off the coast of Maine is like no other. No one should miss that!

2. Re: Tour de New England...Day 11: Bar Harbor to North Conway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2010, 06:24