We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 1010, Family of 5, 7 days to fill, need suggestions

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
July 1010, Family of 5, 7 days to fill, need suggestions

Active family of 5 headed that way July 8 - Jul 16 to experience the best Maine has to offer. We are looking for suggestions as where to stay, what to do. We will be flying ion/out of Boston. Kids ages 11, 10, 7 all good hikers.

Interests include hiking, biking, wildlife, kayaking, fishing, photography.

Should we stay in one place and drive around or split time between two different bases?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 1010, Family of 5, 7 days to fill, need suggestions

this board seriously needs to add an edit feature...

Forgot to mention that a place with a kitchen would be preferable. At least enough to do b'fast and lunches out of.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: July 1010, Family of 5, 7 days to fill, need suggestions

Have you heard of Family Nature Camp at College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor? I've gone on outings with the camp and I can tell you that it's everything these articles say and more:

…go.com/vacations/…

…wordpress.com/2009/…

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 1010, Family of 5, 7 days to fill, need suggestions

First off, you might take a look at http://www.travelinmaine.com

which provides information and links to eight regions of Maine.

I am biased but given the interests you provided, it seems that Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park would suit you well. As for filling seven days, you undoubtedly will hear from others who enjoy ANP that that is hardly long enough. As you posted this on the ANP forum, I presume that something about the park already has caught your interest.

I also suggest that you scan this forum and the Bar Harbor forum for ideas and opinions on lodging, activities, etc.

A couple of other good sources:

http://www.acadiamagic.com

provides information and links on various types of lodging, activities, restaurants, etc. It also provides a handy link to the ANP web site.

http://www.ouracadia.com

is a web site maintained by a frequent visitor to MDI that provides a lot of information about things to do and see, and good places to eat.

By the way, in terms of an edit feature, there is a Preview feature---right next to the Submit button.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Mount Desert Island
Mount Desert Island
2,429 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 1010, Family of 5, 7 days to fill, need suggestions

Are you ONLY staying in the Arcadia region? If not, consider some ideas:

1. In Portland, do a lobstering trip - the best one (not too many people, and the kids get to actually work the lobster pots) is http://www.luckycatch.com/

2. Maine Maritime Museum in Bath, very cool for kids, worth a visit. Walk around downtown Bath, where they build HUGE steel ships.

3. Stop in Camden, walk around the "downtown" area, grab some lunch at the grocer and have a picnic overlooking the water at their library park, let the kids run around (and chase the ducks).

4. I am a big believer in art, and the Rockland Museum of Art is amazing. My kids love it.

Mentioned in this post
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 1010, Family of 5, 7 days to fill, need suggestions

Ummm, Foodmaster---it is Acadia, not Arcadia.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July 1010, Family of 5, 7 days to fill, need suggestions

One other thing, it is the Farnsworth Museum of Art in Rockland.

Mentioned in this post
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July 1010, Family of 5, 7 days to fill, need suggestions

Thanks for all the suggestions and links.

We are more outdoor people than museum and town people so it sounds like we should find plenty to do in Acadia and the surrounding area. Now I just have to sort through all the lodging choices and make a decision.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July 1010, Family of 5, 7 days to fill, need suggestions

I'm one of those folks who started with just a few days in Bar Harbor/Acadia and am now doing two weeks at a clip. And its still not enough. Almost any one of the activities that you listed could alone fill a full week. We have spent a week doing nothing but hiking. The same can be said for biking or kayaking although those don't happen to be our thing. Wildlife - well there is plenty of opportunity for birding. You might look at taking in one of trips out to Machias Seal Island from either Jonesport or Cutler (our choice) to see the Puffins, Razorbills and Murres nesting on the island. The Bar Harbor Whale Watch offers some great nature oriented tours. The kids could really enjoy Diver Ed.

Photography, well that's what I do these days (see http://www.itsmynaturephotography.com/galleries/acadia-bar-harbor/). The opportunities are endless.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July 1010, Family of 5, 7 days to fill, need suggestions

I know it's Acadia- spell feature changed it to that!

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Cambria, California
Destination Expert
for San Simeon, Cambria
Level Contributor
523 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July 1010, Family of 5, 7 days to fill, need suggestions

I went to this area for a week this September and could have stayed much longer! We were surprised at how little time it took to drive to other nearby towns. We spent only 2 days in Bar Harbor but could have filled a week with activity.

You could easily spend a couple of days exploring the carriage roads in Acadia Nt'l Park either on foot, or by renting a horse or by carriage.

We took a kayak tour with National Park Sea Kayak Tours...booked the tour in their office in Bar Harbor. It was $44 for four hours, and included a drive over to the "quiet" side of the island, instructions, a great guide who was full of great information, looked out for everyone's safety but also fun. The kayaks were tandem, so it would work well for a family. We were the only experienced kayakers on the trip and enjoyed it as much as the others who were first-timers on the water. www.acadiakayak.com

Also a side trip to Jordan Pond House is a nice way to spend an afternoon. They serve a pot of tea and two popovers with butter and jam for $9. Then you can work it off by taking a hike along the trail that encircles Jordan Pond.

It's a beautiful area with plenty to do for those who enjoy the outdoors!

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
National Park Sea Kayak Tours
National Park Sea Kayak...
380 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Jordan Pond House