We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indoor spot for a small wedding/elopement

The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Indoor spot for a small wedding/elopement

Am looking for a Plan B for an mid-August very small wedding/elopement, a place to hold the ceremony inside (on a Tuesday) if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Does anyone know of a pretty room in a public building (anywhere on the island) that would be appropriate for a ceremony with about a dozen people if the weather turns bad and this can't be done outside?

Not looking for a church or hotel, everyone is staying at a large rented house.

Plan A is to find an intimate spot in the park, so if Plan B has the flavor of Acadia, that would be awesome. Do any of the gatehouses have rooms/spaces that are open to the public?

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indoor spot for a small wedding/elopement

I'm not sure if this would meet your needs or not but there is a nice gazebo (covered) on the Village Green in Bar Harbor that might work. I don't know about getting permission to use it for a wedding but one of the locals might be able to help.

Mentioned in this post
Village Green
Village Green
304 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indoor spot for a small wedding/elopement

There is a great building called the Hulls Cove School House that you can rent for events. Not sure what the prices are but it's a great spot. I'm also not sure if there is a nice area outside for a ceremony.

I know you can have your ceremony on top of Cadillac Mountain or other areas of the park, but you cannot set up any type of chairs anywhere.

There is a wedding planner on the island and her website is http://www.islanddistinctiveoccasions.com. She offers many links on her website and may be able to help you find a good location.

Mentioned in this post
Cadillac Mountain
Cadillac Mountain
2,732 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
The Great State of...
Level Contributor
404 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indoor spot for a small wedding/elopement

Do you know if there are photos online anywhere of the Hulls Cove School House interior?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indoor spot for a small wedding/elopement

Sorry, I don't know of any interior shots of the school house. Maybe someone else on the forum will have some.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indoor spot for a small wedding/elopement

I was able to find some interior pictures on the following web page:

webforwedding.com/ceremony/maine/barharbor/9…

I just googled Hulls Cove School House and it came right up.

6. Re: Indoor spot for a small wedding/elopement

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2010, 06:22