We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

there's an ap for that

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,455 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
there's an ap for that

I see by the weekend Bangor newspaper that someone has developed an Acadia National Park ap for the I-phone. The article makes it sound quite useful, telling you what you are seeing from any scenic spot and giving some basics on the trails and carriage roads.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: there's an ap for that

Yes there is and an interesting one at that. It is called Chimani:Acadia. I have a copy that was given to me to test out in hopes that I would write about it on my blog. I was waiting on some updates before doing that and having received those updates will be writing soon.

I will say this. It is a large app and at $9.99, not cheap but not overly expensive as far as iPhone apps go. It does provide a ton of information that would be valuable to a first time visitor to Acadia as well as information that could be helpful to us returnees.

First let me tell you what it is not. It is not a guide to MDI. It focuses on the park and only the park. You are not going to find restaurants, B&Bs, where to park in Bar Harbor with this app. There is no cruise ship schedule with this app nor the latest movies at Reel Pizza. If it is outside of Acadia, it is outside of this app.

What there is is a LOT of information and a bunch of photos by an excellent photographer and online friend from Bangor - David Patterson. I am hoping to spend some time shooting with him come October.

The app includes an auto tour of Acadia; the Island Explorer schedule; an interactive map of the park; a list of ranger-led events for the month (it looks like this will be updated monthly); a favorite of mine, the sunrise and sunset times for the next year so I can out there photographing those Acadia sunrises; descriptions of 48 hikes w/ trail type, distance and estimated time for the hike as well as an interactive map for each (I still think I'd take along a paper map though); a section on biking with descriptions and maps of the carriage roads; info on camping but only at the official Acadia sites Blackwoods and Seawall and Duck Harbor on Isle au Haut); tide charts (indispensible for making that crossing to Bar Island or checking out the tidal pools with the kids); info on lighthouses; points of interest includes all the Rockefeller bridges; where the next restroom in the park is, there's 15 of them listed here; picnic areas in the park, it's in here; as are sections on where to swim, where to bird, where to fish, where to launch a boat and go horse riding.

As you would expect, some areas are more complete than others. Some seem to provide more information that I think necessary while other areas leave me wanting more but that is due to individual interests more than anything.

Lots of good stuff in this app.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: there's an ap for that

NOTE: ONE WORD OF WARNING

As of now all the hikes listed in this app are listed under their old names. I am writing to ask that the new names be included in an update.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: there's an ap for that

I have two things to add:

pafly---I think you meant the trail names. For what it's worth, I have updated the trail names, courtesy of the park staff, on the Acadia National Park forum. The updated names also appear in the 2nd edition of the ANP trail map published by MapAdventures, which is available at bookstores, outdoor stores, and although I haven't checked, probably at the Hull's Cove visitor's center. It also is available at:

http://www.mapadventures.com

The url for the app as given in the Bangor paper is:

http://www.chimani.com

4. Re: there's an ap for that

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 July 2010, 20:31
Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: there's an ap for that

I hope the availability of an app won't cause people to skip the Visitor's Center in Hull's Cove.

I strongly believe that every first-time visitor to Acadia should visit the Hull's Cove information center and watch the 15-minute tape setting out the history of the park. I'd hate if folks thought they could skip that step and just get the app instead.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: there's an ap for that

I second that, Michele. I think that this app, just like a good trails map and a good carriage-guide, will be a good addition to one's enjoyment of the park, but not a substitute for seeing the model of the park and the film (and, being able to ask questions of the knowledgeable staff).

7. Re: there's an ap for that

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 05:17