We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing Questions?

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
235 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing Questions?

It's been 95-100 degrees for quite awhile here in Washington, DC so hard to think about chilly weather! What clothing is recommended for Acadia/Bar Harbor next week?

Will we need sweatshirts during the day? Long pants? Hoping to go to summit of Cadillac Mountain for sunrise next Thursday or Friday, will we actually need many layers and gloves?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing Questions?

We have been having days in the 70s to low 80s, nights in the mid 50s to mid 60s. That's not likely to change significantly in the next week or so, although days might be cooler if we get a strong storm front coming through.

As for sunrise on Cadillac, it's hard to predict. I've been up there later in the summer (September) when a heavy sweatshirt or windbreaker was comfortable; I have also been up there in what amounted to T-shirt weather. You really won't know until you get up there---either in terms of temperature or wind. I think that you can safely leave the winter parkas and insulated boots at home; a light layer or two should suffice.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
943 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing Questions?

One other caveat, if you are thinking at all about a whale watching trip, I would say bring along something warm. Layered fleece, gloves and a warm hat would not be out of the question when going out on the Gulf of Maine where the water is very cold even in summer. The boat will provide blankets.

Otherwise, I personally would err on the side of long pants and at least a windbreaker, if not a fleece, for sunrise on Cadillac Mountain. I haven't been up there in August but I have in early September... in shorts... and lightweight shirt... and froze my backside off on what was a breezy, chilly but comfortable day down in the village. Since then I err on the side of warm. It is easier to take a layer off than hope you had one.

Just my two cents.

Ohio
Level Contributor
736 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing Questions?

Last week we were caught in a few rain showers. Had we thought to pack rain jackets/ponchos we would have been able to continue our hikes. :-)

We left the heat of DC, which was the first leg of our trip, so we were quite happy with the temps and lower humidity levels on MDI. T-shirts, shorts and hiking shoes were our uniform for most days and we always kept our sweatshirt or pullovers handy for the handful of times we needed them.

Enjoy your trip!

4. Re: Clothing Questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2011, 06:18