We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is the name and where is it

connecticut
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
what is the name and where is it

there is a beach in the acadia area that is all rocks and when the waves roll in the rocks tumble over each other and the sound is amazing. i thought it was called either rocky beach or stone beach but people i have asked don't seem to know what i am talking about. can anyone help? also, what road is it off of?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
392 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is the name and where is it

You must be referring to Thunder Hole.

We were there twice last week, alas, no thunder.

Do a search on Youtube and you will find some good video.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
943 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is the name and where is it

Thunder Hole is a cut in the granite cliffs and not really a "beach" but it can fit the sound requirement.

Otherwise, most beaches in Acadia (except for Sand Beach) are made up of rocks or cobble. There is a beach between Thunder Hole and Otter Cliffs along the Ocean Drive portion of the Park Loop Road that fits the bill. I've heard it referred to as Cobble Beach, Boulder Beach and a couple of other names.

Farther along the Park Loop Loop (past Otter Cove) there is a beach with steps descending to it that is called Little Hunter's Beach. It is comprised of smaller stones (more like cobble).

At both places you can hear the sounds to which you refer.

If you go to my website and the Acadia 2009 gallery, you will see photos of both. Check out the third and fourth photos at

itsmynaturephotography.com/galleries/…

Maine, USA
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is the name and where is it

Not sure if this is what you are referring to but Seawall has a rocky beach which is really nice, although I don't remember any special sound.

http://www.acadiamagic.com/seawall-02.htm

connecticut
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is the name and where is it

thank you sooooo much!!! Little hunters beach!!!!!!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what is the name and where is it

There is another Hunter's Beach located off of Cooksey Drive. Cooksey Drive is off of Rt 3 right past Blackwood's Campground. When the water runs down the beach, it sounds like the crackling of fireworks.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what is the name and where is it

Thunder hole? During low tide you can hear the rocks sloshing around below the surface.

7. Re: what is the name and where is it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 10:58
8. Re: what is the name and where is it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2011, 06:16