We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose between two hikes

Richmond, Va
Level Contributor
15 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Help me choose between two hikes

I'm in the planning stages of a 2012 trip. This will be our first visit to Maine. I'm having trouble deciding between these two hikes...Ladder Trail/Dorr Mountain or Jordan Cliffs? Which should I choose? The reviews for both hikes look great. Just need help choosing. I've already got the Precipice, Beehive, and a few other hikes planned.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me choose between two hikes

My husband and I just hiked the Jordan Cliffs Trail a couple days ago and I really enjoyed it. There is one long ladder on the hike and the rest is rocky and some parts are near the edge of the cliff. Lots of climbing. There was a great skinny wooden bridge that I loved. We only ran into a few other people on the way up the trail but the top of Penobscot Mountain was pretty busy and many people were on the North Ridge trail that we took back down to Jordan Pond.

I hiked the Ladder Trail up Dorr many years ago so I don't remember much specifics but I seem to recall that it should be called "the staircase" instead of ladder. Hundreds of steps up to the top of the mountain, not ladders like you climbed on the Precipice or Beehive. I do love the hikes up Dorr Mountain because they are less traveled than Cadillac and more peaceful when you reach the summit.

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me choose between two hikes

What time of year are you visiting Acadia? During spring and summer, Precipe and Jordan Cliffs (and a few others) may be closed due to the Peregrin Falcons nesting.

As for your hikes, Jordan Cliffs is still on our to-do list while we have done Dorr a few times so I would probably say Dorr. Then again, we've yet to encounter a bad hike in Acadia.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me choose between two hikes

In terms of planning hikes where there may be trail closures, keep an eye on:

http://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm

which will announce which trails and carriage roads are temporarily closed.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me choose between two hikes

Jordan Cliffs is a family favorite. The rungs, ladders, railings, bridges, and tunnels through boulders make me feel like a kid. And the views over Jordan Pond are spectacular. Atop Penobscot we have often seen hawks and love coming down the south ridge in the late afternoon.

I have hiked Dorr many times, including last week via the north ridge, but have never done Ladder Trail. It sounds similar in style to the Jordan Cliffs ascent, but perhaps with more stairs. And the views to the east aren't as beautiful, in my opinion -- you see The Tarn, maybe also the top of Jackson Lab (not attractive), although the Porcupines in the distance are wonderful. I don't think the top of Dorr is quite as great as Penobscot.

Try including any hike to the top of Sargent or the "Around the Mountain" ride. Also, are you doing any hikes on the western side of the island? Their character is quite different and interesting.

The following article on "Five Favorite Hikes in Acadia" may be of interest:

http://ouracadia.com/blog/?p=23

I also highly recommend Tom St. Germain's guide book and the Map Adventures map of the trails.

Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me choose between two hikes

I've done them both quite a few times. If I had to choose it would be Jordan Cliffs for the views etc. Once you get up to Penobscot, walk over towards Sargent. You'll drop down into a bit of a ravine and run into Sargent Mtn Pond. There's nothing wrong with Dorr either. In the fall the colored leaves that fall off the trees and onto the trail, steps, ladders make the hike beautiful. Not sure when you are going though. Most of the times Jordan Cliffs is closed into late summer due to nesting falcons.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,200 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me choose between two hikes

One caution: If you do Jordan Cliffs, do NOT come down the Deer Brook Trail. It's full of tree roots and poorly marked. It's a real ankle twister.

Richmond, Va
Level Contributor
15 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me choose between two hikes

Thanks to the experts! I appreciate all the feedback. My husband and I are planning this trip for either the last week of August or early September 2012. There are so many fantastic hikes to choose from it is hard to narrow it down to a few we could do in the time we will be there. I will be putting Jordan Cliffs on my list, and Dorr Mountain as a back-up. If any of you wonderful people are ever in Virginia, and you are looking for a great hike, try Old Rag Trail in the Shenandoah Mnts.

Boston...
Level Contributor
536 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me choose between two hikes

Sargent mt.--via the spring trail is one of my favorites.2nd highest peak next to cadillac.Very interesting varied trail ,includes apond and tremendous views.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me choose between two hikes

Are you referring to Maple Spring Trail or the Spring Trail up Penobscot?

Boston...
Level Contributor
536 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me choose between two hikes

Spring trail up penobscot.Why has it been closed?