We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guidebook recommendations?

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Topic
Guidebook recommendations?

I'd like to buy a guidebook about Acadia National Park so I can start planning for our trip next summer. Something that would include the main loop drive, carriage roads, the more popular hiking trails, places to stop, Schoodic section of park, etc. If the book would also include things about Bar Harbor and the other surrounding towns would be a bonus:-). Any suggestions? Is the Moon guide to Acadia any good? That's the book that came up first when I searched on B and N website.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guidebook recommendations?

The Appalachian Mountain Club Discover guide to Acadia National Park is a good one. And the Map Adventures Maps and Guides to Acadia National Park is great. It gives all the trails with elevation and distances. It includes the roads and the towns on Mount Desert Island. There is a waterproof version that belongs in everyone's back pack as they hike, bike, or kayak around Acadia.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Mount Desert Island
Mount Desert Island
2,418 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guidebook recommendations?

I agree with the above--these, in my opinion, are the two best guides. They also are updated to include the changes in trail names that occurred a couple of years ago. The authors of the AMC guide are Jerry and Marcy Monkman.

In addition, if you are planning extensive cycling on the carriage roads, a good guide is Diana Abrell's "Pocket Guide to the Carriage Roads of Acadia National Park.' She describes 12 loops that one can take, providing directions, maps, mileages, and changes in elevation.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guidebook recommendations?

Thanks guys! Off to order them now....

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guidebook recommendations?

Hi-I just ordered the waterproof map-is that enough or do we also need a book? thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guidebook recommendations?

You don't have to have a book to go with the map. You can always stop in at the Visitor's Center for Acadia and ask for suggestions on hikes. A book is nice, though, to give you some idea of just how hard a hike is or what the technical challenge is or where the trail head parking is.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guidebook recommendations?

Hi. I have a good idea of the hikes we will go on. You were helpful there!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guidebook recommendations?

I agree about stopping at the Visitor's Center. In addition to the very knowledgeable staff, there is a huge thre-dimensional model of the park, which will give you a decent idea of the terrain.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guidebook recommendations?

For difficult of trails, definitely the Map Adventures map recommended above was excellent - showing trail lengths and elevation. For trail elevation, the closer together the lines more steep it is. We also googled the name of the trails and found out the level of difficulty by reading other hikers opinions.

Check out my list of easy to moderate hikes here on Trip Advisor:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i30383-Some_Eas…

Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guidebook recommendations?

Acadia The Complete Guide by James Kaiser in an excellent guidebook. It gives a good overview of Acadia, MDI, Barr Harbor and the other towns as well as the history, ecology, geology, and wildlife in the area. There are sections on the Park Loop Road, recommended hikes, and the Carriage Roads as well. He also recommends activities and restaurants in each town with sections on Schoodic and some of the other islands.

The book is full color with beautiful photos and good maps. It is not a guide you will use on the trail as the maps are not that detailed. Nor is it a guide you will use to find lodging, but that's what Trip Advisor is for after all.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Park Loop Road
Park Loop Road
1,304 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
10. Re: Guidebook recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Acadia National Park