We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time is good for ocean fishing and lobster fishing?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What time is good for ocean fishing and lobster fishing?

We are planing to do ocean fishing and lobster fishing. For the half day trip, morning or afternoon, which one is better?

Thanks in advance!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time is good for ocean fishing and lobster fishing?

By the way, we have no any experience about Ocean Fishing. It is possible for us to catch some fishes? Comparing to Ocean Fishing and Fresh Water Fishing, which is easier? Thanks in advance.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time is good for ocean fishing and lobster fishing?

You can't fish for lobsters on your own. You can go out with a lobster man. But one has to have a license to fish for lobster. It is not easy to do. Lobsters crawl along the bottom and take bait with their pinchers. A hook and line doesn't work. You have to have a baited trap. Not just anyone is permitted to set traps.

As for ocean fishing, you need an ocean-worthy boat. That makes it harder right there.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time is good for ocean fishing and lobster fishing?

Here's everything and more about lobster fishing guidelines and laws in the state of Maine. If you scroll to the bottom, you'll see how someone not in the commercial fishery can get a recreational license. Bottom line - you won't be catching any while you're here:

http://www.maine.gov/dmr/rm/lobster/guide/

As to ocean fishing, are you talking about going out on a charter or casting from shore? From shore, they are about the same level of difficulty, if you know how to cast. If you take a charter, you will have help from the boat's crew. The people who fish in my family do so in the morning.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time is good for ocean fishing and lobster fishing?

To bonniemaev:

Sorry that I didn't say clearly. I am comparing two companies. One is ocean fishing only, and the other is both fishing and lobster fishing (actually not real lobster fishing, they give you a basket, after you come back from the trip, if there is a lobster inside your basket, then it is yours), but 30% more expensive. We will be there 7/28 week. I am wondering whether it is possible to catch a lobster. Since we have six people, that's a lot of money.

Thank you very much.

Edited: 05 July 2012, 23:15
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time is good for ocean fishing and lobster fishing?

To CB48:

Thanks a lot for detail info. Now I know the reason why actually it is not real lobster fishing. Since a 11 year-old boy in our party is a fishing lover, we will go once with a company., then probably just do along the shore. We will stay in Southwest Harbor. Are there any locations good for fishing? What kind of baits should we use?

Thank you very much.

Southern Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What time is good for ocean fishing and lobster fishing?

We have not fished in that area, so hopefully someone local will chime in with good locations for spin casting from shore. As to what bait or lure to use, ask someone with a pole. :-) What works one week or for one species will not work as well the next week.

As to the charters, I would just go for fishing. The whole lobster and a basket thing sounds like a tourist lure. Save your lobster money for eating plenty while on land. The prices are great right now!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What time is good for ocean fishing and lobster fishing?

Instead of lobster fishing, try taking LuLu's Lobster Boat out of Bar Harbor. It's a great scenic boat ride with a retired lobster fisherman. He is awesome. After touring around, he takes you out to a couple of traps, pulls them up and teaches you all about lobster fishing. You can't keep the lobsters but then you can come in and have a great lobster dinner

Sorry I don't know anything about the fishing trips. Some guests took an early morning deep sea fishing trip last year and they were very disappointed but I don't know if this is the norm or not.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
764 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What time is good for ocean fishing and lobster fishing?

I agree with the others.....skip the lobster "fishing". If you are curious as to how it's done, do take the LuLu Boat. I'm sure he's filled with lots of interesting stories and fun facts.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What time is good for ocean fishing and lobster fishing?

CB48, lovingbarharbor and sailorgirl ,

Thank you very much.

Wash D.C.
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What time is good for ocean fishing and lobster fishing?

I know you can use the Manset town dock (other side from SW harbor) in the evening hours. Grandad takes the boys down there to fish for mackeral. I don't know what is the best bait or lure (I think they will strike anything shiny though). We also go down there to catch crabs (eventually release them back into the water) using a string with any old deli meat tied to it and a net.