We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike Storage?

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Bike Storage?

Hello,

Since biking is such a huge part of visiting Acadia, I am surprised to find that a number of inns/hotels that I contacted do not provide bike storage. If they do, it's an outdoor rack. Being from NYC, I suppose I am overly cautious. Can anyone shed some light on the necessity of having a secure bike storage area? Thanks!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,846 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike Storage?

You are correct---this is not NYC (nor Boston, nor Philadelphia, etc.). It's not that we don't experience thefts of bikes or things from parked cars, but the incidence is low. In the off season, I seldom lock my car; come the season I have to remind myself to not lead others into temptation.

As for bikes, from what I see, the great majority of people who bring their bikes keep them on their vehicle-mounted carriers, where they can be locked down pretty securely.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike Storage?

Any given afternoon you can pull into Jordan Pond House in the park where there are bike racks full of bikes - maybe one with a lock on it. Half of them still have their backpacks strapped to the back while people are eating. I'm not saying it's never happened, but it''s a pretty safe town. Most people here also barely have room to park the cars of the people staying at their place which is probably the reason they don't provide bike storage.

The Primrose Inn does have bike racks and I think they may even have the racks in the garage.

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike Storage?

Thanks for the comments! I had a feeling this was the case.

4. Re: Bike Storage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 10:16