We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June in Acadia

Boalsburg...
2 posts
Save Topic
June in Acadia

Hello. We are planning a trip to Acadia National Park. We would like to camp, kayak (fresh water), hike, and go whale watching. We are debating coming the second week of June because we would like to experience it with less of a crowd. Is this too early to see any whales and other sea creatures? Thanks Michelle

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June in Acadia

Whales can start to arrive in Maine coastal waters as early as mid-April, so you should be all set by June.... although there are no "guarantees" you'll actually see them on any given whale-watch cruise. Some operators do have a money-back guarantee for trips that don't see whales, and seeing none is rare -- but it can happen.

Lehigh Valley, PA
Level Contributor
945 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June in Acadia

Crowds are relative, Michelle.

We have always visited either in early June or in September/October to avoid the "crowds" of the summer season.

I will say this... from my point of view, I see a gradual increase in numbers of people from the first week in June to the second week in June as schools finish up and families start to travel on vacation. More people in the second week? Yes. Crowded? Not really.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the weather can be tricky in early June. We have hit beautiful sunny and warm weeks where the weather is perfect. And we have hit weeks like last year when it was cool, foggy and rainy just about every day. That can happen anytime but it seems a little more prevalent in June.

Boalsburg...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: June in Acadia

Thank you for the information.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June in Acadia

What paflyfisher said about June weather is pretty much true---June probably has the least predictable weather of the months (mid-May through October) that make up our "season."

If you want to get a feeling about the history of June weather here, go to:

www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp

Enter the location or zipcode (ours is 04609) and choose various periods in June.

I wouldn't necessarily limit my kayaking to fresh water---there are more opportunites for sea kayaking with very reputable and safety-conscious outfits. Check out:

http://www.acadiamagic.com

for all sorts of activities, including boat tours other than whale-watching as well as kayaking.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June in Acadia

Just a note about the whale watching, the only whale watching company here is the Bar Harbor whale watch and they don't offer your money back if you don't see whale, they give you a free voucher to use on another date. They do post how many whales they saw the day before so you can get a good idea if the whales are about or not.

If not, the Acadian Nature Cruise, LuLu's Lobster Boat, and The Sea Princess Nature Cruise are good alternatives.

6. Re: June in Acadia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2014, 06:16