We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blackwoods or Mount Desert Island Campground?

Toronto
Level Contributor
165 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Blackwoods or Mount Desert Island Campground?

Which is better for tent camping with no need for onsite hookups but need water and flush toilets within walking distance and showers not too far. Parking on the campsite. Will be travelling with two two year olds.

We prefer quality, private feeling sites.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blackwoods or Mount Desert Island Campground?

The bathrooms are located within Mt Desert Campground so there is no need to drive to the showers. My sister camped there a few years ago and I really think they have a great location and really nice waterfront camping locations.

I have never been inside the gates at Blackwoods so I can't compare.

Toronto
Level Contributor
165 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blackwoods or Mount Desert Island Campground?

They both look great but Mount Desert only allows one tent and we have two couples so the price difference is huge.

Chicago suburbs
Level Contributor
28 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blackwoods or Mount Desert Island Campground?

Blackwoods was a really nice campground. I felt that the sites were of adequate size. It may be hard to park more than one car at many of the sites. They have logs blocking the entrance to your site so your car fits just at the end; near the road. Yes, there are no showers in this campground, but they are just outside the entrance. This past summer they ran $2.00 a crack. I would recommend camping here.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
891 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blackwoods or Mount Desert Island Campground?

We camped for 20 years at Blackwoods usually for 14 days at a time. It's a National Park so there are not the usual bells and whistles that you would find at a private place. We loved it for just that reason. You can reserve a double site which tend to be quite large. We would go with an 8x10 tent; a 12x12 screen house and a smaller, 2 person tent and have plenty of room. Only 1 car is allowed on the site at a time but they do have overflow parking available so it was never an issue. "B" loop is the quietest with the most spacious sites. We would try to stay towards the back end of "B" loop. It also tends to have the driest sites in case of rain. There are flush toilets and cold water sinks; showers are just outside the campground that you can either drive or walk to. When our daughter was young (about 2 1/2) we would take the trail to the shower and make it a big adventure. There is a path down to the shore. Even in "B" loop you can hear the ocean. There is an amphitheater for nightly ranger shows. They book early in the summer. We actually would go with a list of "preferred sites" that we knew fit our equipment.

If you're checking in on a weekend you should get there earlier (10-11) rather than later as there is usually a line. Ask the ranger if you can check out the available sites before you select one. If there are no people waiting they will usually let you do that. We found the lack of a pool, playground, gameroom etc to be really nice. The campground is quiet at nite. We would always meet other folks and wind up socializing around the campfire. We loved it.

5. Re: Blackwoods or Mount Desert Island Campground?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 05:16