We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ANP sequester update 2

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
ANP sequester update 2

After negotiations with the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce, the park has announced that the road to Cadillac Summit will open on 11 May.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ANP sequester update 2

Sorry to ask, CW -- thought I still had your earlier sequester update... but is the Cadillac road opening the same date as the opening of the Park Loop Road - Ocean Drive?

Mentioned in this post
Park Loop Road
Park Loop Road
1,304 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ANP sequester update 2

No. The road to Cadillac will open a week earlier, this Saturday. The rest of the Loop will open on Saturday, May 18th and the Visitor Center on that Sunday. Members of the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce volunteered to provide labor for that extra work. I guess this is how it is supposed to work: less government, more private enterprise.

bangordailynews.com/2013/…

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ANP sequester update 2

Bonniemaev answered the basic question. To sum up, beginning this Saturday, the Eagle Lake Road entrance will be open and the road from there to Cadillac summit will be open. The small visitors center atop Cadillac will be open and there will be porta-potties available, but as I understand it, no running water until the next weekend. Most of the Loop Road will remain closed until the 17th or 18th (I've heard/seen both); that portion of the Loop Road, including Ocean Drive, that is maintained open during the winter months is still open, with the access remaining Schooner Head Road. Also, the winter access to Jordan Pond via Jordan Pond Road in Seal Harbor remains open.

Mentioned in this post
Jordan Pond
Jordan Pond
950 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ANP sequester update 2

Thanks to both of you for the clarification -- guess we'll wait until the end of the month before heading down... MOTG

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
230 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ANP sequester update 2

Thank you for the info. We will be visiting ANP in early Oct. Have you heard of early closures?

Thanks.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ANP sequester update 2

No word on early closures. The whole strategy of delaying the opening this spring was in order to preserve the usual schedule in the autumn. In normal years, the entire Loop Road is open until 1 December (unless we get significant snow earlier) and the Hulls Cove Visitors Center is open through 31 October.

As I interpret their latest word on seasonal closures, the entire Loop Road will open on 17 May.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park's Hulls Cove Visitors Center
Acadia National Park's...
670 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ANP sequester update 2

MainerOnTheGo, as for waiting until the end of the month, I hope you realize, as a regular to Acadia, that you can actually reach just about every place in the Park once the Summit Road (as they call it locally) opens on Saturday. You can get to Schooner Head, Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, and Otter Cliffs by way of the winter access. You can get to Otter Cove by a short local road. You can get to Jordan Pond by way of that winter access. You can get close to Great Meadow by way of the local road past the golf course. You can get to the wildflower gardens by way of the direct access off of Route 3. About the only thing that would take a hike to get to it is Bubble Pond.

Of course, the easy convenience of driving the entire Loop is gone. The crazed local bicycle people are still riding up and down to the top of Cadillac, car-free, and with great joy this week.

Mentioned in this post
Sand Beach
Sand Beach
693 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Thunder Hole
Thunder Hole
803 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Jordan Pond
Jordan Pond
950 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ANP sequester update 2

Thanks for the reminder Bonnie -- always knew there were off-season ways into most of the Park... but, unfortunately, we're creatures of habit and like to retrace the route(s) we used to use back when we visited Acadia during our college days (yup -- all those many years ago). Still have memories of leaving Orono at "oh-dark-thirty" to be on the summit of Cadillac when the sun came up (makes me chilly just thinking about it)... If we lived closer, would probably use the off-season access more ... Nice to be reminded it's still an option -- thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
9. Re: ANP sequester update 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Acadia National Park