We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

directions from western PA

Canonsburg...
Level Contributor
177 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
directions from western PA

I saw driving direction on the forum a while back but cannot find them now.

We want to stay away from NYC and Boston will have making the trip in two days and will stop midway as we will be traveling with 3 grandsons. Can anyone suggest the best route to take? Ty

Maine
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: directions from western PA

I haven't done the drive from western PA, but from the Scranton area I like to take rt. 84 all the way to Mass. then 90 to 290 to 495, then 95 on into Maine. This avoids a lot of the traffic slowdown spots.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,770 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: directions from western PA

You can avoid even more of the traffic choke-points by investing a little more time in a route we often (almost always) use these days.... From your starting point in western PA, make your way to Harrisburg by whatever route works best for you. From Harrisburg, take I-81 north to Scranton-Wilkes Barre, where you'll pick up I-84 east toward New York State and Connecticut.

Take I-84 east to where it intersects with I-87 north toward Albany. Take I-97 north (not quite all the way to Albany) to signs for the New England Spur, providing connections to I-90 (the Massachusetts Turnpike). Take I-90 east to I-495 (we avoid using the I-290 loop through Worcester, MA because of several bad experiences with local traffic congestion in downtown Worcester). I-495 north gets you around Boston without getting close enough to ecxperience any of its traffic congestion. I-495 literally dumps you onto I-95 north toward New Hampshire and on into Maine. This route will add a few miles and a few (but not many) dollars in tolls, but you'll avoid all of the congestion that I-84 traffic experiences as it goes through Danbury, Waterbury and Hartford, CT.... Except for a stretches near Harrisburg, Scranton-Wilkes Barre and Springfield (MA), we find that our route is generally a speed-limit, set the cruise control and relax kind of drive.

A good overnight stop (again, one we use on almost all of our trips south from New England) is the Hampton Inn in Middletown, New York, a short ways west of the junction of I-84 and I-87. It has very, very easy access to and from I-84, offers a very good breakfast as part of the room rate, and has three good restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel. Not sure where you're starting in western PA, so can't guess accurately how long it will take you to get there, but I can tell you that (for your planning the next day), we generally say that if we're on I-95 in Augusta, Maine by 10:00AM, we're at the Hampton Inn - Middletown by suppertime, with the usual number of pit stops, gas stops etc along the way....

Canonsburg...
Level Contributor
177 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: directions from western PA

thanks everyone - will have to check out the routes further

4. Re: directions from western PA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Acadia National Park