We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip Questions

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
1st Trip Questions

Hi! I have read through much of the forum, but have a few questions. My friend and I will be camping in Acadia for 4 nights with 3 girls ages 9,13,&14. The adults and 9 year old enjoy hiking, the teenagers are a little more reluctant. I have pinpointed some hiking trails, but want to have a few non-nature things lined up to keep the teenagers happy. We are not on an extremely tight budget, but are also not looking to spend, spend, spend.(Also, I do not enjoy shopping, tho I am sure we will hit some of the stores on Bar Harbor). We will be in town July 12-16

Other than the Pizza & Movie place, do you have any recommendations for non-nature activities?

Which of the 2 campgrounds in Acadia NP do you think will be better for our group?

I am interested in a day trip to Isle au Haut, but how to you get to Stonington in order to catch the ferry?

Is it worth a trip to Southwest Harbor with the girls, or will there not be much for them to do there?

Can the teenagers take the bus service on their own if they want to just do something without grownups? Would it be unsafe in any way?

Thanks in advance!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,864 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Trip Questions

Too far removed from today's teen-agers to be able to help much with suggestions in that area -- but can help with the "how do you get from Bar Harbor to Stonington?" Only way I'm aware of is to drive -- you have to go back through Ellsworth, and then take ME Rt 172 through Surry to Blue Hill, where you pick up ME Rt 15 through Deer Isle to Stonington. It's about sixty miles -- I'd plan on at least an hour and a half one-way.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Trip Questions

Great, thanks! I think we will scratch that from the list. I am planning to try to drive as little as possible once we get to the island.

Mount Desert, Maine
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Trip Questions

I have not been to either of the two campgrounds. Seawall is one of my favorite areas on the island, but it is 20 minutes from Bar Harbor and the main part of Acadia National Park. Blackwoods is much close to Bar Harbor and the main part of the park.

As for activities for teens - I has been a long time since I had teens, so hard to relate. On Route 3 coming in from Ellsworth, there is miniature golf, ropes course, go karts, etc. Southwest Harbor is a wonderful village but not really anything there for them to do. Some restaurants.

The Island Explorer buses are free and safe. I have no personal safety concerns anywhere on the island.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Trip Questions

There is the Improvacadia which is a comedy show every evening. It's in Bar Harbor. They might also enjoy the LuLu Lobster Boat or Diver Ed's boat trips. You should push them out on the hike a little, they may find they really enjoy it once they get going.

Of the two campgrounds, the Blackwoods Campground is much closer to the village of Bar Harbor and the bus regularly stops there about every 30 minutes. It's also at the base of the South Ridge Trail up Cadillac Mountain. The Seawall Campground is great but it's at the South end of the island about 30 minutes from Bar Harbor and the bus only stops once an hour. It might not be as convenient to let the teenagers lose on their own.

The Wild Acadia Fun Park is about 20 minutes outside of Bar Harbor and has a ropes course, water slides, go carts, trampoline sling shot and mini golf. There is also a Pirates Cove mini golf in Bar Harbor about 10 minutes outside the village area.

They might also enjoy jumping off the cliffs at Echo Lake - park along Rt 102 at the Acadia Mountain parking and walk down the dirt trail to the rocky cliffs. It's very popular in the summer.

I think it would be very safe for them to ride the shuttle on their own if they are good at reading maps.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Trip Questions

Thanks for the info! I have every intention of making them hike ;-) I have found it is good to have a carrot of another activity to dangle in front of teenage hikers, lol. We made our reservation last night for Blackwoods, so I am glad to hear that it will be a better base for them.

I love the cliff jumping idea, nature and thrill ride wrapped up in one!

Thanks!

2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Trip Questions

Take a boat out for a whale sightseeing trip. My wife and I along with our 12 year old son are heading up to Maine in mid August. That is definitely one of the activities we will be doing. I've done it once in Boston several years back and it was definitely one of the best memories I had that trip.

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Trip Questions

Take a boat out for a whale sightseeing trip. My wife and I along with our 12 year old son are heading up to Maine in mid August. That is definitely one of the activities we will be doing. I've done it once in Boston several years back and it was definitely one of the best memories I had that trip.

8. Re: 1st Trip Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 05:17