We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Acadia

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Acadia

Flying into Boston for a trip and considering driving to Acadia for 3 days from there. Is that too much driving for such a short trip? Should we consider some of the nature areas closer to Boston instead? How is the wildlife viewing in Acadia? I just saw that seeing puffins and whales isn't that likely. What else could be spotted?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Acadia

Acadia is definitely worth the drive. Wildlife: lots of deer, including a piebald deer that has been hanging out near Witch Hole Pond for the last few years. Peregrine falcons. Bald eagles. Seals. Beaver. Otters.

And seeing whales is very likely. The whale watch boats see them all the time. But I wouldn't necessarily spend that much money and that much time on a whale watch boat, given the few days you have.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Acadia

Thanks!

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Acadia

I think you have enough time to visit Acadia and at least take in the highlights of what the Park and surrounding area have to offer.... but, I''d focus on getting to Acadia as quickly as possible from Boston and not wasting time along the way -- just to maximize your time there.

From Boston, take I-95 north through New Hampshire and into Maine. Stay on I-95 all the way to Bangor (in north-central Maine), then take I-395 to Brewer, where you can pick up US Rt 1A to Ellsworth, ME and ME Rt 3 from there to Bar Harbor. This will maximize the amount of higher-speed, divided, Interstate-type highway and minimize slowdowns for small towns or traffic congestion points along the way.

Some folks argue for getting off I-95 in South Portland and taking I-295 through Portland and Brunswick to where it rejoins I-95 in Gardiner (just south of Augusta). While this route measures out at about five miles shorter than I-95 and avoids one Maine Turnpike toll booth, in our experience over years of driving, I-95 is still generally a bit quicker.... primarily because I-295 runs immediately adjacent to downtown Portland and carries significantly more "local" traffic than I-95, which goes around the city. Additionally, the section of I-295 around Freeport, ME is the oldest segment of Maine's Interstate system, with shorter off-and-on ramps and the added congestion entering and exiting traffic creates under those conditions. In general, we find I-95 easier, less-stressful and quicker to drive...

In order to make maximum use of the time you have at Acadia/Bar Harbor, plan to make your first local stop at the Acadia National Park Visitor's Center, just off ME Rt 3 on your right as you climb the hill out of the village of Hull's Cove just north of Bar Harbor proper. The staff and rangers there can give you info and help you plan your visit in a way that makes the most of the time you have.... well worth the stop.

4. Re: Boston to Acadia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 06:18