We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acadia during shutdown

Ludlow, Vermont
2 posts
Save Topic
Acadia during shutdown

We'll be visiting Acadia in a couple of weeks, and I'm wondering about access during the government shutdown. I've been to the park a number of times before, and it seems to me that there's no real barrier to entering the park loop road. Do you think I'll be able to drive the road, and even hike up Cadillac, if the government shutdown happens?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,633 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Acadia during shutdown

This just in from Friends of Acadia, a private organization that lends much financial and other help to the Park:

"Our park rangers are in the terrible position of having to give visitors the worst possible message—that they’re supposed to leave. They’re trying to do this in a polite and sympathetic way, and we hope that visitors will be polite and sympathetic in return. It’s not their fault. Beyond this, rangers are not ticketing pedestrians entering the park, but are issuing warning tickets (and presumably, actual tickets to repeat offenders) to automobiles parked or driving past barriers. Visit our website for updates on the shutdown."

friendsofacadia.org/federal-government-shutd…

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Acadia during shutdown

We just returned from Acadia National Park (during the shutdown) and we were told the same thing. An off duty park ranger told us he was "doing us a favor" by warning us that we would be ticketed if we parked on federal property (OUTSIDE the barricades). We left without incident. However, we noticed many cars lining the streets that were close to trails and so we did the same and took long hikes into the park without incident. We either parked along the street, like many others, or parked in parking spaces BEFORE the "closed" barricades. We didn't have any trouble. We even walked into the park and hiked the park loop road. Many bikers did the same thing. Access to Eagle Lake was easy (parked on road) and we even did the Jordan Pond Trail-it just took a long time to hike in since you can't park too close. I think it is safer to park along State Roads-just in case-but if those are too far of a hike for you then just go as close to the barricades as you can without crossing over, and walk from there. The rangers seemed more concerned about the cars and where they were parked vs. seeing people hiking the trails.

Clarence Center...
Level Contributor
45 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Acadia during shutdown

We were there last week. We were able to park on Rt 233 and hike in BUT I would strongly advise to be careful and have a trail map with you (as mentioned in previous posts) We are weekend warrior type of hikers. We enjoy the outdoors and thought we knew what we were doing since we had hiked Acadia in the past. We ended up on the gorge trail that goes up where Dorr Mt and Cadillac Mt meet. I looked up the trail on my phone and the review I read said easy to moderate! It was very difficult, steep, slippery and downright scary at times! Then we got up near the top and it was so foggy you could not see your hand in front of your face! Thankfully we ran into 2 other couples and one of them was a serious climber and had all the proper gear with a gps and got us all out of there alive! What started out as an adventure turned into an ordeal! Know what you are doing before you venture off the carriage roads!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Acadia during shutdown

We have been to Acadia many times, and this Columbus Day weekend was one of our best trips in spite, or maybe because of, the shutdown. We took tandem bikes with us and rode the park loop road, carriage roads, and even Cadillac Mountain with our kids. It was pure bliss not having cars to deal with. We enjoyed being literally the only people on the observation platform at Thunder Hole. Wrapped up the trip with a little hike near Flying Mountain. We saw plenty of people hiking and biking, and only one ranger the whole time, at the Eagle Lake parking lot as we rode to Cadillac. Basically, if you are fit and willing to walk or cycle to get around, I say go. I did feel bad for cruise ship passengers who missed out on the park loop, although I guess there must have been some alternative since we saw busses loading up in Bar Harbor to take them somewhere.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 01:32
Chelsea, Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Acadia during shutdown

Does anyone know if Schoodic is still accessible during the shutdown? Hoping to get out for a hike today. Any details would be most appreciated.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,633 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Acadia during shutdown

I'm sure that Schoodic is gated off, as is the rest of the Park. Possibly you could park on the highway, outside of the gate, and walk part of the closed one way road. I was going to suggest traveling just a bit further Downeast and visit the Petit Manan Wildlife Refuge. But that's owned by the Department of the Interior. So it's probably gated shut as well.

Springfield
Level Contributor
26 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Acadia during shutdown

The Federal Government shutdown was over on October 17th, 2013. All federal employees returned to work. All federal-owned parks and museums resumed business as usual. Thank goodness.

Not only did the shut down pose an inconvenience to Acadia tourists, thousands of people who planned, saved, and travelled to places such as Washington, D. C. were turned away. A group of elderly veterans from World War II(many were on wheelchairs and travelled long distances), were not allowed to visit the World War II Memorial in Washington, D. C. because of the government shut down. They were celebrating an anniversary which had been planned for months. A U. S. representative had the nerve to demand and yell at one of the park rangers to remove the barriers at the memorial. This representative was one of the politicians who voted to shut the entire government down.

18. Re: Acadia during shutdown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2014, 05:17