We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
353 posts
478 reviews
Save Topic
Puffin and whale tours - kid friendly - reputable

We are vacationing on Mt Desert Island in August - we would like to take our 7 y/o son on a puffin and whale excursion. What can our expectations be to actually seeing some puffins and whales in early August?

Also, any tips/suggestions to a reputable touring business? Preferably on the island - but, willing to travel up to an hour.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,379 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puffin and whale tours - kid friendly - reputable

Chance of seeing puffins are not good. They are very shy birds, smaller than you think, and not at all plentiful. They are more often seen in June than in August. Chances of seeing whales is pretty good. There is only one company that goes out of Bar Harbor. http://www.barharborwhales.com/default.php

Two other great boat tours that are very kid-friendly are Lulu's Lobster Boat and Diver Ed. Everyone adores Diver Ed, adults and children both: http://divered.com/

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
353 posts
478 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puffin and whale tours - kid friendly - reputable

Thank you for the tips - we were just looking at Lulu's (funny to us since our cat's name is Lulu!) and I seem to remember reading something about Divers Ed.... I am not sure the whale excursion is worth the $$$ - it would be ~$150 for the three of us. Maybe a smaller boat excursion would be better for us?

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,379 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puffin and whale tours - kid friendly - reputable

I don't think the whale watch is worth the money. They have to go a long way out there to see whales. It's cold, even in August. People get seasick. It eats up a full day that you could be doing so many other things in Acadia. I do think a smaller, shorter boat trip would be better. I haven't done them all. I do know that the Baker Island trip is fun, passing lots of nice sites, and even getting off the boat and exploring Baker Island. Lots of interesting info from the naturalist onboard.

PA
Level Contributor
843 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puffin and whale tours - kid friendly - reputable

We (family of three with 17 year old son) did Lulu's boat trip on a whim since we were a bit exhausted and sore from our long bike ride the day before. We all really enjoyed the trip and our 17 year old said he would do it again which kind of surprised us just because of his age. The children on board were engaged and had lots of chances to interact during the trip. Lots of fun.

We also did the Baker's Island boat trip on another trip to Maine (just my husband and I) and we both thought it was great. I don't think our son would have enjoyed that trip as much as the Lulu trip, but my husband is still talking about that excursion from a couple of years ago.

Lubec
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Puffin and whale tours - kid friendly - reputable

Hello,

For your next trip Downeast, you may want to consider heading farther east to the Lubec area. At times, whales can be seen from the shores, plus there are numerous kid-friendly Whale Watching tours. And the Bold Coast Charter Company out of Cutler has tours to Machias Seal Island, which is the summer home for puffins - no other birding destination can compare. Lubec is a small, quaint fishing community with 97 miles of spectacular shoreline. There are 4 lighthouses and Campobello Island, NB Canada is just across the bridge. Once to experience Lubec, you'll want to return year after year! Check out VisitLubecMainedotcom

6. Re: Puffin and whale tours - kid friendly - reputable

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 05:17