We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Acadia for the first time

Columbus, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
Visiting Acadia for the first time

When I enter the destination into mapquest it looks like part of the driving route from Columbus, OH to Acadia is in Canada? Is this accurate and if so do you need a passport???

PA
Level Contributor
796 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Acadia for the first time

I didn't check MapQuest but on one of our trips, we would have had to drive through Canada to get to Thousand Islands in New York. We did get passports in anticipation of that trip. I believe you would need passports to re-enter the United States.

PA
Level Contributor
796 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Acadia for the first time

Out of curiousity, I did type this into MapQuest and it doesn't seem to go through Canada. It heads to Erie, Buffalo, Rochester, etc. I typed in both Mt. Desert Island, Maine and then tried with Acadia National Park, Maine.

On our trip, there were other ways to get to Thousand Islands without crossing through Canada but the distance would have been a bit out of our way, so we bought the passports.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
5,546 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Acadia for the first time

It's hard for me to imagine that you would need to travel through Canada to get to Acadia National Park. And, yes, if you do you will need a passport. I use google maps for directions. It routes you up toward Cleveland and then across Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and Massachusetts to get you to Maine. Instead of Acadia put Bar Harbor, Maine in your search and see what that does.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,667 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Acadia for the first time

Have checked both Mapquest and Google Maps with a simple, straightforward search for driving directions from Columbus, OH to Bar Harbor, ME (nearest large town near Acadia National Park). Neither of them routed me through Canada. I'd try your search again, making sure you didn't inadvertantly include any intermediate points, to see if you get a different result this time. The Mapquest route map that pops up initially looks like it might possible include Canada near Buffalo, NY, but if you zoom in more closely, you can see that your entire suggested route is on the U.S. side of the border.

And, as noted above, if you do decide to include Canada in your trip fors some reason, you'll need a passport to get back into the U.S..

5. Re: Visiting Acadia for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 05:20