We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summertime crowds

Boston...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Summertime crowds

Fodor's says that Acadia gets 2.2mil. visitors per yr., second only to Great Smoky Nat pk., which is much much bigger. That is sort of scary.

But i will have to go this year from the last week of June, or more likely that start of July, through the end of Aug. Is there any time during this period that is relatively less crowded?.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
111 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summertime crowds

Maine and New Hampshire summer vacation begins in late June (25th and later) - especially this year with all the snowdays. Acadia will be less crowded in late June or early September. August will probably have the best weather, but also the worst crowds.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summertime crowds

Fodor's has very old statistics. Here's visitation for 2012:

National Park Recreational

Park Visits

1. Great Smoky Mountains National Park (TN, NC) 9,685,829

2. Grand Canyon National Park (AZ) 4,421,352

3. Yosemite National Park (CA) 3,853,404

4. Yellowstone National Park (WY, MT, ID) 3,447,729

5. Rocky Mountain National Park (CO) 3,229,617

6. Zion National Park (UT) 2,973,607

7. Olympic National Park (WA) 2,824,908

8. Grand Teton National Park (WY) 2,705,256

9. Acadia National Park (ME) 2,431,052

10. Cuyahoga Valley National Park (OH) 2,299,722

Acadia doesn't even have a third of the visitors of the Great Smokies. Some of it is how you count visits. Most of it is that Fodor's doesn't really do the research but repeats something they saw from someone else who also didn't do the research.

In any case, don't be afraid. I used to live near the Smokies and it was crazy with Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg and all the country music halls and outlet stores. And all the truly chubby people walking the streets of those two places stuffing their faces.

Acadia National Park seems to attract a much different sort of people. They are individuals and families who are really interested in hiking, biking, kayaking, photography. There are no wall-to-wall water slides, amusement parks, haunted houses, or any outlet stores. July and August does get a bit busy here. But it is never anything at all like Great Smokies National Park.

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summertime crowds

Even in mid-summer there are parts of Acadia National Park where you can "escape the crowds" and find places to "stop and smell the salt air".... One key to a great visit that many folks overlook is to stop at the National Park Visitor's Center (on Rt 3 in the village of Hull's Cove) and talk to the staff and Rangers about the kind of visit you want to have, the kinds of things you hope to do and see, and to listen to their suggestions as to how to make the best use of the time you have available for your visit.

Think I've visited Acadia during every month of the year at some point in my lifetime -- have also visited (more briefly) Great Smokies (including Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge), Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Can tell you with confidence that any "crowds" you may encounter In Acadia don't come close to those we saw in any of those places.... Part of the trick is to visit the more popular parts of the park earlier or later in the day than the "crowds" -- park staff and rangers can help with that....

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summertime crowds

Agree with previous responders, "crowded" is a subjective and relative term. I've seen more traffic on my one-mile drive home from the train station in NJ every weeknight than I have on pratically any day in July that I've spent at ANP over the last decade. With the exception of the area between Sand Beach and Thunder Hole, which represents just a tiny part of the park, you will find plenty of peace and solitude if you just take two or three steps into the woods...Consider visiting the quiet side, too, which is just that and where you'll find great, family-friendly hikes like Beech Mountain, Ship Harbor, and Wonderland, plus places like Echo Lake for swimming and the Carrol Homestead for a step back in time (limited hours). Good luck, and enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Sand Beach
Sand Beach
693 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Thunder Hole
Thunder Hole
803 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Highland Lakes, New...
Level Contributor
91 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summertime crowds

From a Jersey boy, "crowded" is a relative term, and don't be too scared. We have spent weeks in June, July, September, and have NEVER seen what WE would consider traffic, anywhere in Maine.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Summertime crowds

Thank you Jersey boy. As you say crowds are relative to Jersey, something I understand as a Rutgers grad.

Mid Coast Maine...
Level Contributor
828 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Summertime crowds

August is the "busiest and most crowded" time of the year. But, as others have said, that is relative. I used to live in NYC, but now in Maine "crowded" at the beach to me means that there is someone else there besides yourself. You'll be fine. :-)

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Summertime crowds

Let's put this to bed. Booked Mt. Desert campground on 3rd wk of July. Thanks all of you.

9. Re: Summertime crowds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Acadia National Park